Raleigh paint question

KermitGKona88

Gold Trader
Overbury's Fan
Feedback
View
I am looking to get a Raleigh Record Ace resprayed sometime soon, in the catalogues the paint is called Fern green, is this the same as the RAL colour of the same name, as I believe Raleigh used RAL colours ? Looking at the colour chart it looks darker but.......

Cheers

Mark

Raleigh had their own colour system starting CF followed by a number. CF1 was black. Etc. There may be a conversion chart somewhere but Raleigh didn't use the RAL system. At least not in my day which went up to the 80's lol

Midlife":133kepb8 said:
Raleigh had their own colour system starting CF followed by a number. CF1 was black. Etc. There may be a conversion chart somewhere but Raleigh didn't use the RAL system. At least not in my day which went up to the 80's lol

Why I asked is I worked in a Raleigh 5 star dealer in the mid 80's and I seem to remember that the touch up paint had RAL codes on it, so maybe they were the codes for the colour but not the Raleigh designation, but TBH the touch ups were lousy matches anyway :facepalm:

Cheers

Mark :D

Following

Just because Someone (Mark) got me all interested in my RRA again and I'll have to paint mine now.

Re:

Hi Bagpuss

Do you mean 6021 as that is the colour I am thinking myself, 6012 is Black green :shock:, I think 6019 might be a bit too Bianchi ;)

Hi Mark. I worked in a Raleigh 5 Star Dealer in the 70's and 80's, Cliff Pratt Cycles in Hull.

It was one of my jobs to order stuff including touch up bottles. The bottles were coded RMM 116 ancd the colours were the standard CF codes. Touch up for an Arena (pale metallic blue) was RMM 116 CF12.

Perhaps later they used RAL codes as I left the shop circa 1981

Midlife":i7ubja68 said:
Hi Mark. I worked in a Raleigh 5 Star Dealer in the 70's and 80's, Cliff Pratt Cycles in Hull.

It was one of my jobs to order stuff including touch up bottles. The bottles were coded RMM 116 ancd the colours were the standard CF codes. Touch up for an Arena (pale metallic blue) was RMM 116 CF12.

Perhaps later they used RAL codes as I left the shop circa 1981

I think I remember some of those older touch-ups being around with those codes on now, were they in glass bottles? The ones I am thinking of were in metal tubes with a plastic colour coded top looked a bit like a marker pen with a flattened top.

I worked at Lawford's Cycles in Great Yarmouth from 1985-90 then again for a while in about 93-94.

Hi Mark

Spot on, they were little glass bottles with a nasty brush added to the bottom of the lid. And yes, they were hopeless lol.

We used cocktail sticks and not the brush, even then colours like fire red and carmine were awful to touch up. We are talking the 70's here with men in donkey jackets standing outside next to braziers and dubious build quality.

We covered up scratches with a multitude of stickers which was a bit easier :)

Best times of my growing up years :)

Midlife":30gb4l9f said:
Hi Mark

Spot on, they were little glass bottles with a nasty brush added to the bottom of the lid. And yes, they were hopeless lol.

We used cocktail sticks and not the brush, even then colours like fire red and carmine were awful to touch up. We are talking the 70's here with men in donkey jackets standing outside next to braziers and dubious build quality.

We covered up scratches with a multitude of stickers which was a bit easier :)

Best times of my growing up years :)

Yes the brushes were absolutely hopeless even on the later ones, I have no idea how ladies get their nails looking so good with essentially the same equipment. Another great wheeze you might have missed out on as well was sheets of paint that you were supposed to just lay on the frame and rub them on with a soft cloth. In reallity they just exploded in to a million shards of paint almost as soon as they were off the backing sheet :facepalm:

I think the men in donkey jackets standing outside next to braziers thought up that one just to amuse themselves.

Great times :D

Back