Guess the weight difference -old vs newish seat pillars

argonsixar

Retro Guru
So I thought I had cracked the seat pillar on my modern bike. I dug some spares out of my parts bin and came up with a modern carbon FSA and a mid 80s Super Record.
Guess the difference in weight ?

Attachments

• pairseatpillars.jpg
    pairseatpillars.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 857
Its going to be quite a bit as one is made from a chunk of metal whereas the other is made from the trampled hopes and dreams of children

Re: Actual pics of them on the scale

Was quite surprised at this !

Attachments

• FSAonscales.jpg
    FSAonscales.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 852
  • superrecordonscales.jpg
    superrecordonscales.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 852
legrandefromage":10no4cl2 said:
1g of a childs' ruined 2020 christmas

how very dare you!

The carbon one must be a bit of a hooffa

Bought the FSA on here. Bloke told me it was super light !

Cut the FSA down to the same length as the campag one, and then weigh it and compare

foz":21o6bkjj said:
Cut the FSA down to the same length as the campag one, and then weigh it and compare

Exactly, hardly a fair comparison! Also, the Super Record was one of the lightest available back then - don't know if the FSA is as high on the current lightness scale.
Carbon's not always about lightness (according to the marketing) in this case it's about comfort.

But I do take your point, I was amazed at how heavy the Campag 10 speed aluminium rear mechs were compared to my old Super Record (180g) when I went all modern.
The carbon ones were up to 30g lighter but with the move to 12 speed the frankly very ugly current SR is the same weight as my ancient pretty one.

Mark.

Not much is lighter than a Dura Ace 7410 alloy seatpost at the same length...200g for a 240mm. I fitted a carbon USE Alien, but I suspect the weight saving is that fiddly little allen bolt and awkward clamp, not the seatpost part!

daccordimark":1gttj8cw said:
don't know if the FSA is as high on the current lightness scale.
Not very, the lightest CF posts are around the 90-120 gram range, depending on length.

Latest posts

Back