Bianchi frame cracking

Carbonmtb

Dirt Disciple
Hi all , after finally getting back on the road I’ve noticed two cracks on the frame , gutted ! It’s scandium alloy I think so not sure it can be welded ....

Not sure what to do with the bike and it’s like new and totally original !

Just stick to flat rides and keep and eye on it ? Do they let go quickly when they go ?

Any other Bianchi owners on here that have experienced this ?

Thanks in advance

Lee

Ouch, that's a looong crack. Time to say goodbye and retire it. The crack will continue ot grow until it all fails with a big bang. If you are lucky you get a floppy bit first as a warning.

£200 should find you a nice frame to replace it, transferring all the bits across.

Sorry for you.

Re:

Damn that is a shame !!!! Will the parts of that era go onto most frames wen if it’s abit newer ? The forks are unmarked ! I rode up a steep hill yesterday out the saddle and no creaking or anything but like you say it could go anytime !!

Re:

A real shame but I don't think there's anything that can be done.

The parts should go on a newer frame up to a point of course.

Re:

Looking at pics it’s been like that since I’ve been riding it , doesn’t creak but I guess It will only be ok until it isn’t ! Gutted !!

It will let go when you least expect it!! So if your going down a descent even at 40mph & it let’s go you are facing serious injury or worse! I’ve had a frame let go around the lever bosses & even though it was sturdier gas pipe tubing it did collapse but I did stay upright.... your risking serious injury if you continue to ride that.
Go to a decent frame builder & get the down tube replaced if the frame is of sentimental value...

Nob":h9vplo5b said:
It will let go when you least expect it!! So if your going down a descent even at 40mph & it let’s go you are facing serious injury or worse! I’ve had a frame let go around the lever bosses & even though it was sturdier gas pipe tubing it did collapse but I did stay upright.... your risking serious injury if you continue to ride that.
Go to a decent frame builder & get the down tube replaced if the frame is of sentimental value...

Taking everything onboard as everyone says I should follow my head , it’s such a shame , it rides so well and all the kit on it is such good condition , I will have to keep my eyes peeled for another frame , not sure on head set size etc , I guess the bb will be standard to others etc , either that or I just look at it ! And use my more modern bike .

I'm not sure what aluminium Bianchi used but they all seem to crack, particularly on the seat tube. Aluminium frames from that era were light and stiff but honestly not as good to ride as steel or more modern carbon. As others have said, time to say goodbye!

Back