Giant TCR 1 1998

Jumphigher":1yw8nuzo said:
Sweet. That turned out great. I'd put many miles on it if it were mine. How's it ride?

Hi Rides great, very fast. Only issue I had the the seat post keeps slipping, I then tightened it too much and tore out the threads on the clamp. :(

alanjob":37v37dfd said:
Jumphigher":37v37dfd said:
Sweet. That turned out great. I'd put many miles on it if it were mine. How's it ride?

Hi Rides great, very fast. Only issue I had the the seat post keeps slipping, I then tightened it too much and tore out the threads on the clamp. :(

I'm not surprised to hear it's fast, my Koga/Myata build from the same era is pretty quick as well. :)

I'd get the right seat post size, dont wanna cause stress fractures in the frame. Mine takes an unusual 27.0 size which has been a hassle to find.

Jumphigher":1sk15mjx said:
alanjob":1sk15mjx said:
Jumphigher":1sk15mjx said:

I'm not surprised to hear it's fast, my Koga/Myata build from the same era is pretty quick as well. :)

I'd get the right seat post size, dont wanna cause stress fractures in the frame. Mine takes an unusual 27.0 size which has been a hassle to find.

Yeah mines a standard 27.2, Im gonna clean it out and try fiber grip when I get a new clamp, clamp is also standard 34.9.

Re:

Nice work!

I love these TCRs. Very light and nice to ride, for alloy frames. Now on my second one. There is a third, but I'm about to give that to a friend on permanent loan.
The original wheels were far from light, yours definitely look better!
Never seen another frame in that anodised lime colour. Hope you enjoy the ride.

Mike

Re: seatpost

Hi
nice build, but I would say that as I have same frame fork. Are those wheels rare as I haven't seen the non carbon bladed version before, in silver. I have some Rigida DP18 black rims on DA7700 hubs, great wheels, hold they're speed nicely once they're cranked up. Regarding seatpost I thought it was 30.9? I have a plastic shim and 27.2 seatpost, lots of stories about squeaky seatposts, but mine is fine. Check Bikepedia to confirm seatpost size
Cheers Glen

Re: seatpost

west green":35txu1kr said:
Hi
nice build, but I would say that as I have same frame fork. Are those wheels rare as I haven't seen the non carbon bladed version before, in silver. I have some Rigida DP18 black rims on DA7700 hubs, great wheels, hold they're speed nicely once they're cranked up. Regarding seatpost I thought it was 30.9? I have a plastic shim and 27.2 seatpost, lots of stories about squeaky seatposts, but mine is fine. Check Bikepedia to confirm seatpost size
Cheers Glen

Hi, yeah, there is an aluminum shim inserted into the seat tube but its looks to be part of the frame as I cannot get it out. The original Mike Burrows post is 27.2. I also have a Giant SCR as a winter bike and it has a 30.9 seat tube with a plastic shim and I had issues with it creaking. From memory I give the shim and the post a good greasing and that solved it. My wife's Giant Defy just has a 30.9 seat post with no shim. Alan

Re:

Yes I had the alu shim but that came out, maybe I got lucky because i didn't touch it inititally but then when I was cleaning up before applying carbon paste I noticed it was moving. I replaced it with USE Thermoplastic seatpost shim 27.2mm - 31.0mm. Tried a few before I got one that fit. I thought that might explain why you're seatpost was slipping. Here's an old thread which references the seatpost

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=281154

and
Here's a nice link http://inrng.com/2012/05/the-ancestor-of-your-bike/

Re: Re:

west green":37aqtbee said:
Yes I had the alu shim but that came out, maybe I got lucky because i didn't touch it inititally but then when I was cleaning up before applying carbon paste I noticed it was moving. I replaced it with USE Thermoplastic seatpost shim 27.2mm - 31.0mm. Tried a few before I got one that fit. I thought that might explain why you're seatpost was slipping. Here's an old thread which references the seatpost

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=281154

and
Here's a nice link http://inrng.com/2012/05/the-ancestor-of-your-bike/

Interesting

I have replaced the clamp with a stronger one, degreased the post and tube, and installed with fiber grip, hopefully that should hold it.

Re:

Hi Alan,

Not sure if you are going to get this since your post is about 2 years old.

I have the same bike as you and I have had it for quite some time now. I was wondering if you know the size of your derailer hanger?

Mine appears to be slightly bent.

I have upgraded my drive train to more recent Shimano 105 front ring and a SRAM 9 speed Cassette,
shimano ultegra levers and derailer.

I also upgraded the wheels to Korsas.

Please let me know if you know the size.

Thanks,
Manolis

Re: Re:

ArchosOne":1s9k9dm7 said:
Hi Alan,

Not sure if you are going to get this since your post is about 2 years old.

I have the same bike as you and I have had it for quite some time now. I was wondering if you know the size of your derailer hanger?

Mine appears to be slightly bent.

I have upgraded my drive train to more recent Shimano 105 front ring and a SRAM 9 speed Cassette,
shimano ultegra levers and derailer.

I also upgraded the wheels to Korsas.

Please let me know if you know the size.

Thanks,
Manolis

Hi Manolis

Sorry I dont know the hanger size.
If you remove it, it may be stamped with a code.

Alan

Latest posts

Back