Raleigh Lenton Sports- sentimental restoration

Lenton54

Retro Newbie
So, having just posted in the "introduce myself" forum, I thought I'd post my project on here. Hope it's the right place!
When my grandad passed away I inherited his Raleigh Lenton Sport. Date on the rear hub says 1954?
He got the bike in the early 60s I think, second hand as an anniversary gift from his wife and rode it until the age of 92! The last couple of years it has been rotting a bit in his (and then my) garage, but now I have a bit more time on my hands I'd like to start to get it up and running, but have no experience with old bikes like this.

Jobs that need doing:
-wheels need restoring: they are the original dunlop rims but spokes are knocked and though the rims aren't too rusty, they are coated in black brake deposits that wont seem to shift
-a few spokes have gone
-the bike has a Hercules 3 speed rear hub, but I have the original sturmey FM hub on a spare wheel, I cant tell if either work!
-the polychromatic green paint is rough- no rust but there is nearly as much black enamel as there is green!
-all the cables are in a state
-the pedals dont match! I have a complete pair of rubber block pedals with it, or one quill pedal (that I think must be the original)
-bottom bracket and headset probably need a service

Like I said, not done any work on these old bikes before, and the Sturmey Archer confused me.
Want to keep it original if possible, but on a tiny budget and dont know where to start! Any thoughts or if anybody has done this before I'd value some hints!
Cheers guys!

Hello & welcome..... I look forward to seeing some pictures....
(BTW, restoration/build threads live in “reader’s road bikes” but don’t worry, just send Jamie Dyer a PM and ask him to move it. (Click on his name in the mods banner above)

Sounds like fun time ahead then , got friendly with you tube and a lot of the info you require will be on there .

Give everything a good clean with some elbow grease and fine wire wool if you have some and you will be surprised how it will look hopefully , just don't set your target to high .

Not the ideal situation right now but it will keep you busy for sure .

try posting pictures when asking questions as they always help .

And good luck

Peachy!":3spdef77 said:
(BTW, restoration/build threads live in “reader’s road bikes” but don’t worry, just send Jamie Dyer a PM and ask him to move it. (Click on his name in the mods banner above)

Thanks, I cant see where the "mods button is, but will keep looking

Lenton54":1n6lu3rw said:
Peachy!":1n6lu3rw said:

Attachments

• 2BB60BBC-BBC8-4314-B10F-22ADF80AD853.jpeg
    2BB60BBC-BBC8-4314-B10F-22ADF80AD853.jpeg
    300.5 KB · Views: 672
Peachy!":2be95iq9 said:
Lenton54":2be95iq9 said:
Peachy!":2be95iq9 said:

Thanks, I see it now, think I was on the mobile version of the site!

Welcome. I have an old lentos in my signature and a similar aged Armstrong. Have a look at the threads. Lots of help I got.

The History Man":3g93uofw said:
Welcome. I have an old lentos in my signature and a similar aged Armstrong. Have a look at the threads. Lots of help I got.

Great! Yeah, I have a feeling I'll be trawling through the threads for info!

Back