Help with dating & valuing this older Mercian...?

LikeClockwork

Gold Trader
Kona Fan
Feedback
View
It's my Dad's, but it's a bit too small for him, and out of boredom during this crisis, we are chatting backwards and forwards about it, but unfortunately he isn't very good with modern tech, and at the mo this is the only pic he has managed to get across to me!

Frame number is 21090 (with a 3 stamped underneath that). Frame tubing is 531 Competition, Cinelli bars & stem, Campag hubs on Mavic MA2 rims which I believe are 27", Deore XT front and rear mechs, indexed down tube shifters, Lyotard pedals, Christophe toe clips, Tange/Mercian headset, Shimano 600 seatpost, Brooks saddle, some form of SLR Shimano brakes.

Doing all this off a vague list of parts he texted to me! Thinking if he is going to sell it, we may be better off breaking it up and selling frame/forks separately to the parts...?? Appreciate any comments...

Attachments

• Mercian.jpg
    Mercian.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 657
Re:

Lovely looking bike, beats me why you would want to take it apart and sell it for a fraction of what a new Mercian would cost today

Re:

Hmm, yeah, that's the trouble. Whatever happens, it's too big for me and too small for him, so was just wondering if I could use the parts on a different frame, and sell the frame/forks separately for him...??

Struggling to date it from that frame number, although I am still researching...

Edit: 1990, from the frame number, with the 3 indicating the frame builder, maybe...??

Re:

Good looking and very usable touring bike . Canti lever brakes from what I can tell. What size is the frame ?

Re:

Sell the frame separately after a good clean up & polishing of the paint.

Re:

Inclined to agree - had a frame/forks on watch on eBay, with a small dent and a ripple in underside (same sort of era as this one), went for £113 yesterday... :shock: :shock:

Re:

Yes, looks like a MTB chainset too, will have to get him to check, some of this would be useful on the Rock Hopper, potentially!

Back