Recommend a chain tool

FiveAlpha

Retro Guru
I have got through 2 chain tools in the last year - not impressed to say the least. The first broke where the pin joins the barrel, so I replaced it with a new tool, with replaceable pins. This one had two of the fins that hold the chain break off.

Before you say I am doing something wrong, I have 'wrenched' my own bikes for over 30 years!

So, please can someone recommend a decent chain tool - I would like one to last a lifetime, and don't mind paying for that.

I've used both the Park tool CT3.3 in the link above and the Park Tool Mini Chain Tool CT-5. to be honest the CT-5 is far superior, it has a second row of teeth so you can choose to push loosen a tight link.

I have an old cyclo chain tool that still going strong & I have the Campagnolo chain tools which are just as good & last...... :)

I also have a Park CT5 that works well but I also have a Park CT4.3. The stout 4.3 is much easier to use and supposedly is better for
11 and 12 speed chains. That said I have broken a pin, buy some extras to have around.

Park Tool - the big one. Robust and tips can be replaced. Everything else is just cheap tinsel compared to these. Riding Velo Retro last year a guy's chain broke on a nasty hill, myself and three mates rocked up and found him struggling with a multi tool chain splitter, whipped out the 'big one' and the man was up and running in a few minutes.

Park Tool - the big one. Robust and tips can be replaced. Everything else is just cheap tinsel compared to these. Riding Velo Retro last year a guy's chain broke on a nasty hill, myself and three mates rocked up and found him struggling with a multi tool chain splitter, whipped out the 'big one' and the man was up and running in a few minutes.

I've got the unior pro chain tool. Pretty solid. Always wondered about using motorbike chain tools as they look much more solid and some even have a kind of clamping design keeping the chain in place.

Peachy!":11hb5muf said:
I've used both the Park tool CT3.3 in the link above and the Park Tool Mini Chain Tool CT-5. to be honest the CT-5 is far superior, it has a second row of teeth so you can choose to push loosen a tight link.

Interesting, I was using the old big one (ct3) for ages and really liked it. The friend it belonged to took it away and I got the new one (ct3.2?) with the sliding plates - which mean you can’t loosen a tight link. Absolutely useless - unless I’ve missed something imo it’s just a crap design (and the 3.3 looks the same to me). Joining chains inevitably results in a tight link and loosening them is pain.

The little ct5 looks better. Now I want one.

Back