1989 Trek 5000?

FL44

Old School Hero
What are chances to source a 1989 Trek 5000 54 or 56 cm frameset or full bike to build up or restore not for display but for real rides? Also, what price range can I expect?

Thx!

Attachments

• 89Trek5000catalogpage.jpg
    89Trek5000catalogpage.jpg
    200.1 KB · Views: 401
The only ones on the bay, are from the 1990s.

I have never personally seen one of these first gen moulded frames - either in the flesh, or for sale online. The later ones from the 90s are everywhere, as are the composite ones (alu lugs) like the 2300.

Depends on whether you need this specific year or not? Could you make do with a later model?

I'd be after this specific 1989 model. Has been also my impression that this one might be hard to source.

I would urge caution in looking for a carbon Trek frame of that age to ride regularly. I'm not one of these people who say carbon has a finite life, steel is real etc. The carbon itself will be fine but those frames suffered from a corrosive reaction between the carbon and the aluminium parts like drop-outs, fork crowns and cable guides. Do you want to be thinking about that whilst descending at 40 mph? I've recently retired my 2007 Madone for this reason.

Good point! Thx for the info! Going to consider this. I can check a frameset with a former co-worker at a test lab. Above all I'm looking for a safe ride. If too many/significant risks then I'd rather abandon the idea/project at all.

Back