Chainring advice

Ross 1964

Devout Dirtbag
I'm looking at a tandem and wanted to know if I can get hold of replacement chainrings, specifically to get smaller rings than currently.

The exisiting rings on the Stronglight crank are 50-38 I think. The BCD looks small but I'm unsure what it is. The small ring may fit to the rear of the big ring or does it go directly onto the spider, I'm unsure?

Anyway, if anyone is familiar with this crankset (it's very beautiful!) and can advise it will be most appreciated.

For the Suntour Cyclone rear derailleur, does anyone know what I could go to for a biggest rear sprocket, I was thinking maybe 14-28 ( 6 block screw-on)?

Attachments

• tandem chainset.jpg
    tandem chainset.jpg
    273.6 KB · Views: 473
This is a Stronglight 99 BIS, the inner chainring fits onto the reverse of the spider. These are an 86mm BCD. A more compact 48/36 set up may be better.

Regarding the rear mech, I've run a Cyclone up to 26t with no problems but found it a bit clunky with a 28t sprocket. There wasn't quite enough clearance between the jockey cage and the sprocket for a smooth change. That was a short cage Cyclone 7000 rather than the MkII I assume you've got. If you've got a long cage (GT) mech that supposedly handles a 32t sprocket but I've never run one on anything bigger than 28t.

I should qualify my experience by saying the short cage mechs are rated up to 28t if you've got Suntour dropouts as they have more drop between the axle and the hanger. Mine is on Campag dropouts hence only going up to 26t.

Mark.

Back