Another one on Uniglide / Hyperglide cassettes

jordic1968

Retro Guru
I'm a little bit confused and before starting with the dremel I'd like if you can give me some advice please....

I have a Dura Ace uniglide hub ,and want to fit a hyperglide cassette. After reading a lot , my preferred option is to dremel some cogs of a hyperglide cassette so they fit in, and close with the small uniglide cog.

Do you also thing this will work ?

Thanks

forget about it... I do not want to spend time on a 13-32 and then discover it is better a 13-34 ;(

I'll try to swap the hubs.

^ Yep, it's easier to just swap the freehub body and then you can use any Hyperglide cassette.

Donor hubs are usually cheaper than a freehub body by itself. Sora 3500 looks like it'll be a straight swap for 8/9/10 speeds. For 7-speed you'll just need an older 7-speed Shimano hub.

Thanks , but it seems that's not the case for old 7400 uniglide hubs where a special tool is needed ..

So far, I've fitted a pair of 7850 dura ace wheels, just because I'm in a hurry to test the new build this weekend... I'll put some pics on the other thread (cinelli columbus max). In the long term, I believe I a have a 7400 hyperglide hub lost somewhere, so probably I'll look for a pair of nice rims and build the weelset again

what special tool? its normally just a 10mm allen key once you get the axle out

Attachments

• dura ace uniglide.jpg
    dura ace uniglide.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 694
normally yes, but uniglide ones need this tool. Unfortunatelly I've already fitted the axle, so can not take pics, but that's the tool:

Attachments

• V0EX7Vx.jpg
    V0EX7Vx.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 662
To avoid endless discussion: removing cassettes and cassette-bodies are two different kind of sports...

Back