Dave Lloyd Frame Register

Hi Neil,

Argos sounds familiar also but it sounds as though you have good knowledge regarding the bikes they built. I guess Dave may be able to hazard a guess. He's still offering coaching course out on the Wirral and he'd probably remember me, I chased him up and down the A1 on more than once occasion!

His frames were always very smart. Not many people had a 'Lloydy' when I got mine. Being a Manchester lad there were lots of Harry Hall bikes and the Merseyside riders generally turned up with Harry Quinn type bikes. There were lots of names on frames, almost every bike shop of repute had their name on a frame but I don't think that many of them made the frames so there must have been a small number of builders supplying quite a large group of resellers.

The most amazing experience was winning a 25 up at Catterick on the A1. It was a very blustery day and I chased down all my minute men in really difficult conditions. At the local tea room, near the finish I think every rider came for a look at my bike - as if the bike had some secret formula that made it so fast! Personally, it was tons of training miles and a bit of luck - but I have to admit, the bike did look the part for the time! I'd carefully modelled it so it fell into the style used by Cammish (Every), Phil Griffiths (Brian Rourke) and Alan Roberts and Dave Hinde on their Carless framesets.

If I get a further reply from Jake I will make an offer for my old frame. The intention being I would return it as close as possible to the original spec. I'm a member at a cycle training club called Cybele in Blackpool and it would be great to hang on the wall for everybody to have a look at. I'll drop you a line and let you know how I get on.

Thanks again for your postings. This would never had happened without your obvious enthusiasm.

Andy

Re:

Thanks for the compliment Andy that's very kind of you.

We have a few TT riders past and present on the forum, Midlife, Old Ned and Nob to name but three. I have never been a competitive cyclist, bikes were just free transport when I was a kid, for fitness later into the 80's and 90's when I was a Martial Arts practitioner and instructor, and now a bit of a passion. I am also a relative newbie to road riding, MTB's being my thing for a long time... three of my Lloyds are MTB's.

Good luck with your purchase and rebuild, my 1978 frame is restored as a clubmans racer from that period (with lots of help from Midlife), and my Quantum 650 is as near a replica of Dave's own Q650 as I could make it, both get ridden, although maybe not quite as often as they should.

Please keep us all posted on your project.

Neil

Is this still going? I still use a Dave Lloyd Concept 90 (I think) with modern components. Frame code is LL 94954
Any info you have would be great!

Attachments

• IMG_0776.jpg
    IMG_0776.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 591
rahallan":1gu2lcin said:
Is this still going? I still use a Dave Lloyd Concept 90 (I think) with modern components. Frame code is LL 94954
Any info you have would be great!

It is indeed still going.

What you have there is a Concept 90 (you knew that) made of Reynolds 753 (nice) and originally built for a chap called Dave Whitney.

My C90 has age related parts but I also have a Concept 2000 with a welded frame and I really must get that built up with modern running gear, to me that combination is the best of both worlds.

Enjoy your C90 and if you can, post a picture or two, we do so luv a pichur on RB.

Thank you for that and such a fast response!
You can see its fitted with a power meter as I still use it. Some people think the aero wheels look wrong but I like to push it on this bike. Also still use Cinelli stem and bars. I think this bike is quick. Only thing I dont like is the fork is a bit harsh but I'll stick with it as it looks ace

Attachments

• IMG_0777.jpg
    IMG_0777.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 591
The cable routing for the front mech never felt right to me - the pic of the bottom bracket with code above. Should I be using a noodle to protect the frame or something. To be fair its worked fine for the 4 years I've had the bike built up.

Re:

NICE! I like the understated look, very cool.

Dave Lloyd frames make you ride fast... actually, they demand it!

Doesn't matter if it is a road bike or MTB, they all taunt you, 'Is that it? Is that all you've got? Go on... GO ON... faster Faster FASTER! :mrgreen:

And of course, we do our best to oblige. :twisted:

A bit of tube under the BB can sometimes make things a little smoother, I just tend to keep mine clean and give the cables and occasion squirt of GT85.

Thanks again - looking through this thread - it looks like most people leave the routing bare. I've got a Bob Griffin 531 where i love the fact it only has a bit of outer cable at the back.

Yeah - there is something going on about the speed. The Cinelli bars help - narrow and the curve on the top lets you get your head down by getting your arms flat and the bike just flies.

I love looking down at the bike. The silver is a lovely deep metallic. I do want to give it a fancy paint job in time but there's plenty of time for that. The chrome is all fine and only a couple of rust spots that I keep on top of.

Its got retro RX100 brakes because I love the old SLR logo and wanted some when i was a kid. They need better pads though as they dont slow you down much. I have more modern brakes and Ultegra's look nice but I should keep some period correct components on it. And it will probably end up with Campag when the wheels die.

Its also got a carbon seatpost as I think they look ace.

What was the commonly used seatpost size please? Just tried a 27.0 and fitted with wee bit play, I hadn’t a bolt to tighten it so wondered if they were normally 27.2.

Ta

Re:

I'm not sure there is a common size as Dave used three different tube manufacturers, but, my personal experience is that most frames take 27.2.

However, some of my frames have been horribly difficult to get a 27.2 post in, but way too slack for a 27.0 post. I suppose I could have had the frames reamed, instead I just used a lot of coppa-slip and a suitable measure of brute force.

Back