C-record date code 51

jordic1968

Retro Guru
I've got a c-record crackset with this date code and I'm curious. Anyone can help with some info please.
Thanks

Re:

Hi,

to my best knowledge, it was made in 1989.
The double-coding began in '85. The first number represents the year. 85 = 1 ..... 89 = 5
The second number? Maybe the quarter year.

Re:

I see you have a Montello. I also have an early one, probably made in '84.
Could you give me the serial number of yours, I'm trying to decipher the Pinarello's s/n system in the '80s. Are you the first owner of a bicycle? What information do you have for '88?

Edit: Now I see the link with the pictures. 1B8??.
But I see an interesting thing on your bike. The Columbus sticker is an SL tube sticker, not the red-framed SLX, which is common on Montellos.
On an another vintage cycling forum runs a topic that deals with the existence of SL tube Montello. According to the latest information, SL-tube Montellos are marketed only in Europe.
Maybe are you from Europe? Or the previous owner of the bike was European? When you renovating, did you inspect the SLX-ribs at the BB shell inside the tubes?

Mine is 1B831 and I'm the second owner. I presumed it was from 88 because of 127 rear spacing , 7 speed, 2nd gen c-record, old columbuys sticker and painted fork, but I can be mistaken of course. I can admit I 'm maybe biassed from the year Perico won the TdF ;). I believe the clue is the painted front fork, that was only produced for one year, but not sure certainly if that was 1988.

Mine yes European , yes. I could not find the pics now but I'll take new ones no a rainy Sunday... I though that columbus stickers were old ones, that could be used either for SL or for SLX, not aware of any SL montello. But all can be.... I'll have a look again and check the ribs.

Hi Oldfireleg

Just checked this afternoon.... quite surprising, I coud notice the riffling on seat tube and chainstains, but not on main tube. From another forum, I've read there were some SL frames with the SLX seat tube, as this preceded the SLX tubesets and such frames used the generic decal.

So I could have one of these early 1984 Montellos ?

Back