1999 Trek 5200 OCLV USPS Frame - what to do?

Mickyc10

Retro Newbie
Hi All,
Havent been on for a while, forgot my log in so had to re-register as a newbie.
Anyhoo, just about to take delivery of the above frame, the same vintage as used by a certain Mr Armstrong!
Wanting some advice on whether to bring it up to date in a neo retro style or go for a full period restoration.
This is going to be a winter project so will take my time on it.
All advice gratefully received, but in the meantime if anyone has any ROLF Vectors kicking around let me know?!

Ta in advance
Micky

A fantastic frame; I got mine in 1998, Trek confirmed mine was the first ever US Postal frame that came into the UK. It was the original red/white/blue colours with threaded stem; Cinelli Grammo, obviously!
The correct period groupset would be Shimano Dura-Ace 7700 (9 speed).
If you really want to push the boat out, you could fit Lightweight wheels as Armstrong used these amazing wheels in the Tour de France; I have a pair of these amazing wheels from that era :)
Getting ideas on the rest of the bike should be quite easy as there are loads on images on the internet of the US Postal bikes being used at that time (if you ignore the more sinister articles about this team and certain riders activities!).

Mickyc10":298msob5 said:
Hi thanks for the reply. What wheels are you quoting?
Love to find a Grammo but pretty rare.

The wheels are Lightweights, they were first seen around the late-90s. They were incredibly light and rigid wheels; completely made of carbon fibre. The front wheel weighed just 420g! I was very lucky to get a pair at that time, when pro riders had to buy their own!
Today, the company is owned by Carbon Sports I believe and the range of wheels have been expanded to offer different designs, including a full disk. However the original spec that was used by the US Postal team and others is still available; 53mm deep rim with 20 spokes front and rear.
The wheels I have are still by far and away the most amazing wheels I have ever used :)

Have just picked up a pair of Mavic Ksyrium helium anniversary wheels for this project.
Any ideas where I can get decals?
Ta
Micky

Back