Puzzle, old bike...

mr-mac

Retro Guru
Know it’s a bit random but if anyone knows of any classic road bikes that came with this exact setup/spec and doubt much was changed... was a bike I got for £10 in 90’s in local paper when I had no idea what names/brands were/meant.....

Steel frame, relaxed geometery, suspected 531 as was light..... frame broke and meant to repair but grandad chucked it out many moons ago. Was actually one of best easy riding road bikes I have owned and always fancied seeing if could replace as a fun chuck about hack

Cinelli criterium bars, cinelli stem, 27” alloy rims with good campag hubs, campag qr, campag leather saddle, campag seat post, had large long reach brakes obv to cater for proper mud guards, stronglite front cranks, shimano ax aero derailleurs, campag rear dropouts with wee adjuster screws, (think bottom bracket was stronglite too), bottom bracket part of frame had a diamond stamped in it, had suntour ratchet levers. The lugs were cutout and quite delicate and obv high quality but not stupidly decorative crown in for were curved with small point in middle and curved to larger points either side of small point in middle and were quite sharp and quite proud of fork leg.... was painted white but from the chips etc it looks like it may have been metallic light blue or light bluey green metallic. The rear triangle stays were the sort that have a flat tapered area where it attaches either side of seat tube. Think was 12 speed.

Re:

Just if anyone has or has seen one with a very similar spec it may give me some ideas to look at

Re:

Beginning to suspect it may have been a Holdsworth. Plenty had 27” wheels, similar relaxed geometry and shape of forks, this for crown (link in prev post) was off a holdsworth. The cable routing device pictured was on a bike made by holdsworth for another company and also has same stronglite cranks as I had.

Fork crown is Vagner most likely and was pretty common, the lack of brazing on the bottom bracket was 1970's style, unusual for Holdsworth to use that type of band on guide as they were up-market enough to braze guides on.

Could have been made by many a builder / Manufacturer BITD.

Re:

It’s the shape of forks and geometry of frame that makes me suspect it may be.

Possibly not but guess a holdsworth 531 or a similar frame will give me the type of performance i’d want

Re:

Not really relive youth...

For road use it was by far the easiest mile muncher I had. Sandy Wallace said it was because of the nice relaxed geometry. Honestly it was a aweful looking thing, as I said could leave it outside pub in city centre with no lock and return for it next day (which was a regular occurrence). It was a cheap hack that was brilliant to just jump on and go and not be precious about it at all. I replaced it with a bike I built when frame cracked. Carbon frame, full shimano 105 low profile (Halfords we’re stopping components so bought cranks, chainrings and both derailleurs for about £30 iirc). Used my cinelli bars and stems and added 105 shift brake levers and iirc cheap but fancy Tektro dual pivot brakes (they were actually fantastic), then replaced cheap wheels I built it in with velocity deep v rims on hope ti hubs. It was lovely but never ever felt like an effortless mile muncher as the old dog was.

Fancy something in similar vain, would have been nice if could have found what it was but knew that was probably a bridge too far (though may still have bottom bracket somewhere, if original may have a ser no on it).

Will keep eyes on FB marketplace and Gumtree etc for an old unloved racer that looks like has parts that were decent quality, in no rush so sure something may pop up.

Iirc ser number wasn’t anything fancy just a fairly short number no letters.

Re:

Does bottom bracket info help, basic, fairly short number only ser. And the bottom bracket shell has a diamond stamped in it. Even if it narrows down maker of bb and a possible frame age.

I’ll try and find some frame lugs the same as well to show what they were like.

Back