9 Speed Veloce Poor Shifting Question?

Markone

Retro Guru
I have a mid 90's Colnago Super with Campy 9 speed Veloce groupset.The right hand ergo shifter shifts up and down the cassette,but skips over the second and third cog and the paddle shifter feels a little vague and spongy.

I have stripped the shifter and inspected all the component parts and did replace the g spring carrier with a new one as the 'post' on it had broken off.

I have new g springs on order and they should arrive in the next few days.Can I expect the new springs to restore proper function to the shifter can anyone tell me?

Thanks in advance.......

In short yes! Typically one spring snaps and while it all still works (sort-of) it doesn't feel right. Fit new springs and you should be good.

The vagueness can also be caused by the gear cable outer not being fully snug into the Ergo body. I always set the gears up (on a first installation) before taping the cable outers to the bars. This ensures that the outers are properly settled in place.

Thanks for the words of encouragement hamster I'll let you know when I have fitted the new g springs what the result is.I'll also check the outer cable is snug in the ergo body as you suggest!

One final thing (assuming you recently got the bike) is that the two 9 speed bits match. The shift ratio changed in 2001 and 9-speed is available in both.
Old type shifters have no numbering on the body and the mechs had a b-tension screw by the dropout bolt like Shimano.
Post-2001 have the speed on the shifter body '9 SPEED' and no B-tension screw on the mech.

They are pointy top ones so are matched to the rear mech. The speed has to be on the black ergo body to be the later type.

Thanks hamster that's good to know!Fingers crossed when I get the new g springs in shifting will be problem free.

I have installed the new g springs,unfortunately shifting problems still exist on the smaller cogs!The shifter definitely feels crisper in each position both with thumb lever and paddle,so I'm starting to wonder if it's the rear mech.

Did you replace the g spring carrier as well as the g springs? When I've had the same issue with vague shifting on the smaller cogs it's always been a cracked spring carrier that has been the problem.
It usually cracks near the post which hooks the coiled shifter spring. It sometimes can be worn g springs but more often than not I've found it's the spring carrier.

rikster":2mpmn5km said:
Did you replace the g spring carrier as well as the g springs? When I've had the same issue with vague shifting on the smaller cogs it's always been a cracked spring carrier that has been the problem.
It usually cracks near the post which hooks the coiled shifter spring. It sometimes can be worn g springs but more often than not I've found it's the spring carrier.

Yes, I have replaced both the spring carrier and the g springs,but as said no matter what I try cannot get it to index properly on the smaller cogs.

Latest posts

Back