L'Eroica Britannia 2019

Anyone get there email from EB today stating that this years event will set precedence for future events base on Gaiole rules, I'd say its about time too I bet it goes from one extreme to another no woolen shorts no ride. :facepalm:

Re: Re:

Leehm23":10rfy86k said:
This is the first EB I'll be missing, I enjoyed all 5 previous rides but it felt more and more about making money. I understand profit drives the organisers but it felt like it had become more important than celebrating the ride, the bikes and the riders. Eroica Limburg has been amazing the last couple of years, growing slowly and in a wonderful location.

I have always been put off by the hipster aura of the EB. But reassured that Eroica Limburg is authentically good, as I have registered for this year's event. I also registered for the 2018 Limburg but was disappointed i missed it as had to call it off as found out at the last minute that Dutch railways had engineering work on the route from the Hook of Holland down to Maastrict the whole weekend, so no trains and no way to get there as don't drive. Needless to say, I have learnt my lesson and have checked the planned engineering works for june 2019, and no problems! See you there. I will be on my 1982 Raleigh gran sport (in the original team colours option that was available back then), and my wife on her pink 1982 Mercier service course

Re: Re:

icrinson":38qzekvd said:
I have always been put off by the hipster aura of the EB. But reassured that Eroica Limburg is authentically good, as I have registered for this year's event. I also registered for the 2018 Limburg but was disappointed i missed it as had to call it off as found out at the last minute that Dutch railways had engineering work on the route from the Hook of Holland down to Maastrict the whole weekend, so no trains and no way to get there as don't drive. Needless to say, I have learnt my lesson and have checked the planned engineering works for june 2019, and no problems! See you there. I will be on my 1982 Raleigh gran sport (in the original team colours option that was available back then), and my wife on her pink 1982 Mercier service course

Looking forward to seeing you in Limburg! I've been to Gaiole in '13, '15 and '17, Limburg in '16, '17 and '18 and Britannia in '18. From what I've seen Limburg is closer to Gaiole in spirit than most of the other Eroica events outside Italy.

Having said that, I don't regret coming to the Peak District. The scenery was wonderful and the pies we got in our goodie bags were to die for. :)

Participated in the Limburg Eroica last weekend, my first 'eroica', absolutely brilliant! This is the 4th edition, and very well organised. The festival on friday evening and saturday of the ride was excellent, plenty of beer and music, nice people (of all ages and genders), and not overwhelming (a criticism that i have read about re: the numbers at EB). Valkenburg where it is based is a really beautiful small town with plenty of hotels, restaurants and bars. This is the hilly bit of the Netherlands (Amstel Gold country as many will know) and there were 4 distance options (35, 65, 125 & 200 kms). I did the 125km ride which was a good challenge (it was a bit too hot on the day - 35C - for the 200K), and included plenty of gravel/flinty tracks, and some great food stops. The organisation of the ride itself was ok, a few missing signs meant I went 20Km out of my way, ah well, and a few people told me that they had also got lost on the route. However it an Eroica not a sportive, so all part of the experience. My wife also really enjoyed it and we will definitely be going again next year.

Re:

After a disappointing 2018 event, I wasn't going to bother this year but I did sign up in the end and I really enjoyed the ride this year. It was much smaller (500+) and it felt more of an intimate event in that you met the same guys over and over. The climbing was a front loaded with a nice 10 mile flat down the Monsal trail to the finish. I decided to ride a single speed and, although challenging, it was a great conversation starter - in fact, more people spoke to me than in the previous 4 events put together. The 3 food stops were decent and ,all in all it was a great day

Attachments

• ss.jpg
    ss.jpg
    247.9 KB · Views: 254
Back