Seeking advice on a Raleigh Quadra ...

taken4aride

Dirt Disciple
... bought this today - needs a very good clean and tidy - it's a bit weird to ride because when the front wheel is facing directly and perfectly ahead it sort of slightly notches into that position so that when you steer it in and out of the 'directly ahead' position you can feel the front steering notch in and out as you steer right or left across the middle.

Is that by design to help make the bike sit true when riding on a straight road? Feels odd to me.

A very cheap fix (well bodge really) is to knock out the bottom cup and then refit it rotated 45 degrees. The dents / brinnelling won't line up and off you go again.

If it's one of the Raleigh-specific headsets they had a non-standard threading and aren't easy to find (and are not available new).

hamster":2badqn4l said:
A very cheap fix (well bodge really) is to knock out the bottom cup and then refit it rotated 45 degrees. The dents / brinnelling won't line up and off you go again.

If it's one of the Raleigh-specific headsets they had a non-standard threading and aren't easy to find (and are not available new).

Thanks - everyone please bear in mind that I am a complete beginner so even the term 'headset' is gonna fox me for now.

Is there anything on YouTube instructing me how to do this and I will give the easy fix a go for now? Will I need any special tools?

Just had a look at a few pics of a quadra - looks like a stock 1" headset. Easiest to fit a new one. Headset £25, plus an hour's labour for a bike shop.

Back