New Article Published "Light & Legendary: VITUS 979"

Superb! Never seen this one before and it will be devoured and, with your permission, used in my article. Let me have a real name to credit it unless you rather not. And you may e-mail it to me privately if you prefer.

But many thanks for this... it's one of the best (and earliest) Vitus 979 brochures I've seen

Peter Kohler
Washington, DC USA

Very cool! I never knew you could get a Duralinox with shaped tubes until now.
Also, that you could get them with mudguard fittings.
Mark.

At the cafe on Tuesday one of our 'retro group' arrived on what appeared to be a 979 in blue but the head, seat and BB castings had short 'V' shaped extensions into the tubes. The seat pin was a wedge one. Everything else was 'standard' 979 so is it a later production model - or something else?

That sounds like a Vitus 992 model dating from 1992-96. But maybe I am misinterpreting your description.

These had aero profiled tubes and larger ovalised ends to give a stiffer frame from the earlier "Losange" and "Arcor" models. The headset was integral to the head tube as well.

The 992 was the last Vitus Duralinox model ridden to a victory by Sean Kelly in the '92 Milano-San Remo.

992s built up with the later "Tout Mavic" components are lovely jobs and a tempting future project.

Peter Kohler
Washington, DC USA

kohl57@yahoo.com":1cjz0muv said:
That sounds like a Vitus 992 model dating from 1992-96. But maybe I am misinterpreting your description.

These had aero profiled tubes and larger ovalised ends to give a stiffer frame from the earlier "Losange" and "Arcor" models. The headset was integral to the head tube as well.

The 992 was the last Vitus Duralinox model ridden to a victory by Sean Kelly in the '92 Milano-San Remo.

992s built up with the later "Tout Mavic" components are lovely jobs and a tempting future project.

Peter Kohler
Washington, DC USA

Hmm, I think the tubes on this were 'normal', don't remember them being profiled. The seat stays etc. were as a 'normal' 979 and the seat lug didn't have a grub screw. Hopefully he'll come on it again next Tuesday although we do tend to 'rotate' our steeds!

Ah, so I think it maybe a "Altec". Another French take on bonded Duralinox and was marketed by Stronglight in the early to mid 80s.

Somewhat rare and certainly unusual but there is one on eBay presently:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-ALTEC- ... 4267228223

I guess I should add a section to my article "Not Vitus 979 But Often Confused as Such"

Peter Kohler
Washington, DC USA

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Back