Frame identification help needed Frame 1 of 2

Re: Re:

torqueless":18km0g1x said:
I'd guess that one has been 'updated'- two sets of bottle cage bosses don't often get seen with long Campag ends except on a tourer maybe?

What are the clearances like?

No one would've put that 'pip' on the down tube if the gear lever bosses were original. Probably a 70s frame that might've started out with few braze-ons, if any?

My '75 mystery frame once had a very plain-socketed (65mm) BB shell like that.
Now you say it that does make sense and yes the pip on the downtube had me thinking.

It rules out a Falcon pro though as they do have lever bosses on so this one might remain a mystery which makes at least 3 mystery frames I've got now.

Later Falcon pros had brazed on lever bosses and cable guides Early ones had no braze ons at all. The were some in the middle period that had braze on lever support and bottom bracket guides, or a mixture of these.
But as ever there is a great variation in these bikes. They seemed to use what ever they had to hand. Different bottom brackets and dropouts. Early ones even had different lugs.
Not totally convinced they are Tange tubing, although it’s a possibility. Forks yes but not sure about the rest of the frame. I have seen other suggestions to what they may be made of.
Have seen a seamed bb on an Olympic but not on a pro. But of course that does not mean it isn’t a possibility. Given the variation in the bikes. But having said all that I would expect a Falcon to have a frame number on the bb.
So maybe not a Falcon?

Re:

I don't think it is a Falcon because of the lack of a frame number but that is still a possibility so I'll compare it in detail to my pro and see what it tells me. I think the treatment of how the rear dropouts meet the stays is different so if it is that should rule that one out.

Re: Frame ident help needed Frame 1 of 2 Painting it now

I've still no real idea what this is so I've decided to paint it anyway and build it up to use it. What has been suggested and I've managed to work out so far is:

I don't think it's a Falcon, I've compared it to my Falcon Pro and although there are one or two similarities the differences are too great.

Its had a lot of work at different times, I think the lever bosses were added as the pip on the underside of the down tube is pointless with lever bosses, but rubbing it down I've found the point at where it looks like it once had a front mech mount brazed on so as to the sequence of all this who knows.

I'm not sure the forks and frame match each other but the forks seem to match either Daccordi or Cilo as they seemed to be the most prolific users of the fork crown but the frame doesn't look a lot like any Daccordi I've seen but a bit closer to some Cilo's.

The frame itself looks more European than British to me and this guess comes mostly from the dropouts and rear stays but I've nothing concrete to base that on.

I'm still looking for suggestions as to what it might be but anyway its hung around too long and I'm waiting on decals to arrive for other projects so I might as well paint this one and build it up.

Forks out and off I go its rubbed down and primed so now to decide what colour to do it.

Attachments

• frame 1-14.JPG
    frame 1-14.JPG
    231 KB · Views: 227
  • frame 1-13.JPG
    frame 1-13.JPG
    149.4 KB · Views: 227
  • frame 1-12.JPG
    frame 1-12.JPG
    155.3 KB · Views: 227
  • frame 1-11.JPG
    frame 1-11.JPG
    231.4 KB · Views: 227
All that said I may have a new candidate, a bit of googling has turned up Vicini as a possible manufacturer as I've seen a few frames with the same lugs or very similar , the same or very similar rear brake bridge, the same or very similar rear dropouts with the same way of making the stays off into the dropouts, the same fork crown and I'm still convinced the rear mech cable stop is a repair which if you take the repair out what's left looks like that used on a good few of the Vicini frames I've looked at. the only thing I can't see is a picture of a Vicini frame showing the underside of the bottom bracket.

Italian tricolour....... go on, you’ve got the skills! :D

PeachyPM":17uqz7te said:
It has crossed my mind as I have got the paint here but there are a couple of small problems, I need to get some white primer to do that and I'm not sure I'll be able to stop myself putting paint some on it before that, and the Campag group I've got for it has blue hoods on the brifters so I was thinking some sort of blue, although they could of course end up somewhere else. I'll see how the mood takes me.

PeachyPM":2y53rmhn said:
Well I was going to honest I was.

The sun was out and I was working from home today so I went out and got some white primer, gave the frame a quick rub down, warmed my paint, started to apply it around the drop outs and lugs and it reacted terribly.

Well that didn't go well, no idea why and I must admit I've had trouble with Halfords white gloss and white primer before so a bit more rubbing down, back to the good old grey primer and in the words of Lee Evans referring to an old lady in a hair salon "I want it blue"

looks a lot like the original colour doesn't it? And as this is really a build thread now and its in the wrong place I'm going to start a new build thread for this one in readers bikes.

Attachments

• frame 1-15.JPG
    frame 1-15.JPG
    147.5 KB · Views: 195
Back