Dave Lloyd Frame Register

Re:

I am assuming that the number starts with LL, so LL981591.

If so then you have a Road from made for Derek Hawkins in Reynolds 653 tubing.

Can you post a picture? We do love a picture or two on RB.

Dave Lloyd 981591

Many Thanks Neil for your reply!
Hopefully I managed to resize and upload photo for you!
It doesnt show on picture having LL before serial number, but I had a closer look after taking the picture and there seems to be very dim L`s under paint. Also there`s 591A (or was it A591) stamped at the other end of BB shell. Any idea of the meaning? Frame has Lloyd panto`s and dropouts including fork..

Did some quick google search on Derek Hawkins and the only cycling related result was rather tragic...

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk ... st-1175112

Could also be someone else though!

Frame currently has a seized campag bb fitted by force by some previous owner and won`t fit any tool. Trying to work out a way to get it out without damazing threads too much..

Cheers

Attachments

• lloyd.jpg
    lloyd.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 1,190
Re:

The paint on DL frames very often obscures all or part of the frame number.

When I asked about a picture, I meant the whole bike. :oops: Sorry, I really wasn't clear, but if it has DL panto's then it's a DL.

As you say, very sad about Derek, it happens far too often to far too many cyclists.

The Campag BB may be original, a lot of original bikes that come up for sale are fully equipped with Campag, so I guess DL liked it. I am not sure of the best method to remove it and keep the original paint, I'm sure the guys here on RB will have an idea or three.

Enjoy your Lloyd, they really are excellent frames and I am really glad this thread continues to shed some light on the frames / bikes that are still being ridden. Talking of which, the weather is getting better, may be time to dust of the C90 and take it out. :mrgreen:

Re: Dale Lloyd refurbised

Hi Neil,

Ended up taking the caustic soda way with the stuck BB, worked like a dream!!

I had a Tiagra groupset lined up for the project, but since you kindly told me that Dave used to fit hes bikes with Campag bits, I decided to do the same. Its very mix& match, but all parts are Campag apart from Mavic rims& Cinelli cockpit.

You mentioned DL didnt make his frames after -9? Who initially carried out the work then, do you know?

Again many thanks & happy rides

Attachments

• IMG_20190416_165659.jpg
    IMG_20190416_165659.jpg
    201.5 KB · Views: 1,122
Re:

Nice.

Mix and match parts is very much the way ordinary clubman's bikes were in the past, even Dave's own bikes had a complete mix of parts, selected for efficiency and lightness.

Paul Donahue's workshop made some of the steel frames, I have a Concept 2000 with DL panto'd parts, but no number and of welded construction, he was also selling a lot of aluminium and carbon frames plus the occasional titanium frame.

All of these are in the register and many that I have seen had DL paintwork and decals. It appears he had a very busy couple of years, as the number of frames registered per year is far higher than when he was making every frame himself.

Re:

Hi there

I just acquired a David Lloyd frame with a full Campag Mirage groupset. It seems unusual as the paint job had a DL decal on the steering head, it has Lloyd on the rear upper wishbone and frame number LL9061232, but no other stickers or identifying marks. Wondering if it is noted in the register?

Thanks in advance

Re:

That number is wrong, I suspect a bit of finger trouble.

LL961232 is a road from made for Langdales and it is made from 01... which I believe is a Dedacciai tubeset.

LL90123 is an ATB made from Reynolds 531.

The lack of decals most likely means it has been repainted at some point, many DL frames have and some not very nicely either.

Re:

Looks like someone could have made a mistake in the tubeset then, the frame above it in the register is listed of being made of Deda Zero.

It's a nice tubeset, my C90 is made from it and it riders really well, quite stiff though, so not one for bumpy roads.... not if you want to keep your fillings anyway.

Sounds like you have a nice frameset, enjoy!

Re: Re:

NeilM":2ocv13t4 said:
Looks like someone could have made a mistake in the tubeset then, the frame above it in the register is listed of being made of Deda Zero.

It's a nice tubeset, my C90 is made from it and it riders really well, quite stiff though, so not one for bumpy roads.... not if you want to keep your fillings anyway.

Sounds like you have a nice frameset, enjoy!

do the records indicate which model the frame is (ie is it a C90)

Back