Super Record Rear Mech Rubbing!

Re: Re:

mattr":m70m8gpm said:
old_coyote_pedaller":m70m8gpm said:
Wouldn't tightening the B-tension screw not rotate the mech down and backwards therefore give the mech cage more clearance to cogs?
Don't think campag mechs of this vintage have b-tension adjustment. Just a fixed tab.

old_coyote_pedaller":m70m8gpm said:
so no idea if Campag is different.

So Campag is different, at least that age of mech anyway. Think I'll be sticking to Shimano. :mrgreen:

Re:

It is possible to adjust the spring tension in a Super Record derailleur. There are 3 positions you can set it to.

Position 1:
IMG_20180817_074958377 by cromoman, on Flickr

Position 2:
IMG_20180817_075815797 by cromoman, on Flickr

Position 3:
IMG_20180817_074457917 by cromoman, on Flickr

The more tension you have (position 3), the further the top jockey wheel will sit from the freewheel. Less tension (position 1) will reduce the capacity of chain that is taken up.

To change the tension, first remove the little screw:
IMG_20180817_074559994 by cromoman, on Flickr

Be sure to rotate the parallelogram clockwise while you do it to remove the tension otherwise you'll damage the screw.

Then undo the bolt that holds the parallelogram to the cage.

You'll see that the cage has 2 spring holes, and the sleeve also has 2 holes:
IMG_20180817_074654058 by cromoman, on Flickr

IMG_20180817_074734495 by cromoman, on Flickr

This gives you 4 possible combinations, but 2 will give the same tension, hence 3 positions.

As mentioned, check the chain length and wheel position first.

In my experience, if you set them up to work with big sprockets and a big difference in chainrings (position 3), then they will be fine on the larger sprockets but a little bit fluffy changing between the smaller sprockets.

Re:

Brilliant cromoman! I'd forgotten all about those holes. Might have to try that on mine which is being pushed a bit further than the OP's as I'm asking it to work with 26 or even 28 tooth sprockets.
Mark.

Yes brilliant cromoman! I was just going to suggest that but wouldn't have been able to go into such superb detail.

I had to do exactly this on a Nuovo record recently using my very unreliable memory as I hadn't done it in at least 25 years and had to work it out as I went along, I shall be saving this tutorial for the next time I need to do it, only this time I'll be able to do it with less swearing and less greasy finger marks on my forehead from all the head scratching.

Re:

Nope, can't get it to work at all. By changing the spring
location all that does is change the wrap of the jockey cage
on the chain - it doesn't change the location of the top jockey
wheel in relation to the sprockets - the top jockey wheel rubs on the underside of the 25t no matter what.

Am I right in thinking that the Mavic SSC rear mech had an adjustable
jockey cage ie that you could undo the pivot bolt and slide the cage up and down thus creating a longer jockey cage suitable for larger sprockets?

Re:

Scratching my head here!

Have you checked your chain length? If it's too long then there won't be enough tension when on the small chainring to encourage the jockey wheel away from the sprockets.

I don't have a Super Record on a bike at the moment, but here's a Nuovo Record with a 26 cog.

In the second photo, I've rotated the jockey wheel cage around to simulate a shorter chain. This causes the jockey wheel to move further from the block.

IMG_20190415_181554413 by cromoman, on Flickr

IMG_20190415_181605702 by cromoman, on Flickr

If the chain length is good, you can give yourself a little extra tension by moving the wheel backwards in the dropout.

Careful not to make the chain too short though, I've broken a derailleur by doing that :oops:

I must be losing my touch - what a simple fix in taking one link out!!!! It's a bit tight on the 52-22t and apart from that, it works well otherwise. Thanks so much for all your suggestions - what a fabulous lot you are indeed!

Craig

Back