Today's ROAD ride

This weekend I had a couple of things to sort out that kept me off the bike yesterday but thankfully today I got a few hours at least in on the Jack Taylor. I really needed to get the Jack Taylor out as being away last weekend meant this was the first time home to take it out to celebrate its birthday. This was on the 12th Feb and originally built on this day in 1982 according to the build records Ken Taylor kept and now shares with the JT group.
Today wasn't too far and there was of course the obligatory coffee stop. While I followed the coastal rode westward I took a few detours off road and found a couple of nicely secluded tracks that led to some nicely hidden spots in a couple of wooded areas. One of these was just along a usual stretch that I have used for years and knew of all the tracks on the old estate along the shore as I used to live just a couple of minutes away in the same village. Today though as I rode by I looked up and there were a couple of trees missing on one stretch of backroad, this stretch has a rise up from the road heavily wooded but behind the trees are the old walls of a long gone estate and it's grounds. Today though I could see part of a huge wall, another partly fallen and some really lovely shaped trees partially hidden up over the rise. The weather wasn't great up here today being dull and cloudy but that just gave it a bit of atmosphere. I decided I would climb up and have a look and maybe take the bike up if possible.
Was glad I did as it was a really beautiful secluded spot hidden away from everything, walled on all sides except the section now exposed due to the trees down. I have been through this estate on everything from Stumpjumpers to my Mercian and never seen this part and judging by the complete lack of any sort of rubbish, plastic wrappers, cans etc, then neither had anybody else been here for a while.
I took a good few photos as usual and sat and ate Jacks birthday Haribo before thinking I better hightail it home. Though while sitting quietly I had two Seka deer come to a stone door just a few metres away and just stood and stared until my phone camera clicked and then they were off along with the Buzzard that had been sitting on the other side of the yard watching me.
A good more direct cross country route seen me home before dark with a nice ride behind us and some new short local trails to explore.

Jamie

IMG_0508 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

IMG_0515 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

IMG_0526 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

IMG_0539 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

IMG_0533 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

IMG_0569 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

Just a few hours out along the coast and up to Dunnet Head just to keep the legs turning as I have been pretty busy with non bike matters this weekend. Though I did do some work getting the Mercian stripped down properly as it should be heading off to get repainted any day now.
Had some heavy clouds blowing through most of the day with a few showers falling though I could see them coming with enough warning I could change course and avoid easily.
I really am enjoying riding the Jack Taylor for these unhurried rides, it's such a relaxed riding machine though still quite responsive which makes it a really sweet handling, comfortable bike on these rough uneven back roads. This is with it still being cobbled together with the Dura Ace stuff which will make it all the sweeter once it has it's nice purpose fitted components more suited to it's style of riding.

Hope everyone else has had a nice weekend too.

Jamie

IMG_0578 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

IMG_0580 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

IMG_0587 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

IMG_0584 by Jamie Dyer, on Flickr

Re:

Today’s road ride wasn’t actually very much, but there is a reason.

Preparing a 1983 Peugeot Vitus 979 for the York retro ride at the end of the month and have had problems with the rear Spidel retrofriction gear lever slipping. Yesterday’s attempted ascent of Terrington Bank (with 42 x 24) was a miserable failure, the gear slipping into a higher gear whenever I pressed a bit harder and no way I could hold the bars with my left hand and the gear lever with my right hand and make upwards progress: let’s face it, I’d probably be walking anyway but would have been fun to try. The planned route with further stiff ascents abandoned so I freewheeled back down (exceeding 47 mph – this is a fast machine!) to return to York but was able to manage the sharp rise back up to Sheriff Hutton holding onto the lever to stop it slipping. Anyway, much assembling, disassembling and experimentation late last night and eventually found some useful information on the internet, although warned that the spring is a devil to sort out. Finally, I decided to reverse the penultimate washer (slightly hat shaped and with slotted middle to fit around the braze on) and, amazingly, it seemed to work. So, took it out today on a short 25 miler west of York and all is now fine.

This is a lovely bike, nearly tout Française (need to repair Spidel seatpost and I prefer Spa leather saddles but otherwise components exactly as 1983 catalogue), weighs 19 lbs and all now seems good. Not sure whether to use this or another Peugeot with lower gearing for the retro ride next week but I will try and fit in another sneaky attempt at Terrington Bank.

Meanwhile, Tadcaster in the sun:

Attachments

• Tadcaster sun.jpg
    Tadcaster sun.jpg
    218.7 KB · Views: 834
30 miles on the 1979 Harry Quinn along with a friend on a 1983 (we think) Eclipse. Both converted to fixed, both good enough to hang on a wall.

Re:

Right you lot, now I've worked out how to get photos back on here, I'll post today's ride.

Leaving work around 9.30 this morning, on a technically bloody hot day I thought I'd work on my cycling tan. :LOL:

So from Storrington I go west, along quiet country lanes to Watersfield and a quick photo by a lake nearby.

Hot ride, sorting out my cycling tan! by Mike Murray, on Flickr

Look, it's hard to get a photo of me and the bike AND the lake. But it's there, honest!

Yes, I fancied an Italian theme today! Anyway, onward I went, still westbound, and across the A285 just south of Petworth, turning left then right towards Graffham, last time I was here, I met up with a fellow R/Ber and we did a bit of riding.

I always have a rear light, but not today, ridiculous though it sounds, I wanted to show off my newly blinged aero seatpost :facepalm: . I usually have a Flite ti saddle on this bike, but keeping in mind the minimum insert for the post, I had to slum it with this Rolls Titanio :LOL:

IMG_3047 by Mike Murray, on Flickr

so in the dappled light I did feel a bit vulnerable at times.

Anyway, still westbound, kept drinking ( I rarely drink enough ) using the computer to have a glug every ten minutes. Went through the small lanes to Cocking, onto the A286 and heading south towards Chichester. Turning left at Singleton, upwards I headed towards Goodwood racecourse. The Trundle it's called apparently, was a bit steep at the start, at least for my 39x23 gear, before easing to a more gradual climb to the racecourse.
Then much to my relief, it was time to go down :shock: to the motor circuit, and 11ses, of course! :LOL:
A few photos of my stop. To be honest I could have stayed here a bit longer! Watching some Herberts racing around the circuit!

IMG_20190629_112702 by Mike Murray, on Flickr

Think it's a McLaren but I'm not sure, going a bit quick. Anyway it looks like an Opal Fruit (Retro!) uncomfortable and you can't get a bike in it, so no good for me! :LOL:

I raced around here in the late '90s, on a Roberts. Made to measure and tubing to match my HUGE power, it was still cheaper than a basic Bianchi frameset, I was dead jealous of those that had them, I just loved the look. So now I'm back 20 years later with my own. Sadly too old and knackered to do it justice though! :facepalm: :LOL:

So eventually after about an hour and a couple of drinks I dragged myself away, and heading back home into a bit of a headwind. Not strong, and a bit of a welcome in the heat.
Along to Halnaker, heading towards Duncton, I knew that somewhere up here there would be a right turn that would take me towards Slindon. I spotted a sign towards Greatham and consulted my non retro phone map, before taking this new, narrow, quiet road towards the aforementioned, knowing I was heading to Slindon. Nice to find new roads, isn't it?!
Here's a photo of Slindon pond. Lovely here . . . . .

IMG_20190629_124216 by Mike Murray, on Flickr

But no cafe, so I didn't stop long! :LOL: :LOL:

Across the main road to Walberton, and heading south to Ford, then Littlehampton. Over the footbridge,

And through the town. Messing up my average, but I really wasn't bothered, it's more interesting and less dangerous than taking the main A259 all the way home. Through Rustington and East Preston, where I had to stop for ages for the railway crossing. But it allowed me a few minutes to stretch, so not all bad.
Then back home for a quick shower and into town for well deserved lunch, albeit at around 2.30!

Sorry if this was a bit long, I do tend to witter on, don't I! Not a super long ride, around 75km, but a really enjoyable one. :cool:

Mike

Back