1984 Raleigh Gran Tour

78Sabatni

Dirt Disciple
Just wondering if anyone else here has ( or had ) one of these frames - I know they were built by the Nottingham Lightweight Unit and offered as a frame set from around 1983 to possibly 1986 or so, there is very little information on this model although I have come across catalog scans for 1983/84s well as a couple on Ebay U.K. and two owned by others in the U.S. I believe it was meant to replace the International in the U.K. when production moved to Japan. Frame and fork are made from Reynolds 531C tubing. This particular frame was built in October 1984 and is a 58 cm. The previous owner purchased it new while in England, I bought it after checking a Seattle Craigslist ad after searching for something uncommon. Since no two are alike this particular frame was built up with mostly Japanese parts, although it does have Super Champion 36h 700C clincher rims and a Campagnolo NR bottom bracket. I replaced the SR seat post and Shimano 600 head set for Campagnolo NR. Also installed V.O. 45mm hammered fenders, Soma 35mm tires, Fizik Vitesse seat ( Brooks B17S one day ), Nitto Technomic stem ( Cinelli 1A too long ) but kept the original Cinelli 42 cm handlebars ( wrapped in black leather tape ) I replaced the too narrow Shimano 600 pedals for some MKS Sylvan touring ones and lastly I upgraded the brakes from the older Shimano 600 to Tektro, the levers are much more comfortable and the braking much improved along with Kool Stop pads. The frame pump is a '60's REG. As for the original equipment- though the person selling it for the owner was sure it originally came with center pulls - it has a Sugino 34/48 T crank set, Shimano Dear Head front changer, Shimano 600 shift levers. Shimano 600 hubs and a Shimano early '90's DX rear derailleur and Shimano 14-34 six speed freewheel both of which replaced the originals at some point as the owner needed lower gearing as he got older. Don't know what the bike came with before the change. It is a very nice riding bike, very responsive with predictable handling, I am using a Carradice Pendle saddlebag that works well for the rides I do, usually 20 -60 miles. I did own a Raleigh Super Course I bought new in 1978 but traded for a high end Italian road bike within a year at the shop it came from but it nice to finally have another Raleigh!

Attachments

• IMG_0148 (3).jpg
    IMG_0148 (3).jpg
    346.8 KB · Views: 775
I currently own a Raleigh Gran Tour; Afully re-built 18 speed Raleigh Gran Tour, with 22" frame and 27 x 1 1/4" wheels. The bike features:
Reynolds 531 frame* and forks. Professionally repainted frame in black and gold. Rebuilt wheels with Campagnolo quick release hubs and Mavic rims.
New tyres. Brooks B-17 leather saddle. Suntour changers and front and rear derailleur. Stronglight triple chainset. Shimano 600 brakes. Still have both touring levers (on the bike) and original Shimano 600 levers.
Classic Carradice touring bag.
I am in the process of selling it: https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/it ... 428196918/

Attachments

• Raleigh GT Classic Reynolds2.jpg
    Raleigh GT Classic Reynolds2.jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 437
I've also got one too, battered, dinged and with half the chrome gone !. no where near as nice as yours, still my go to long (ish !) distance bike, I think they looked "classic" (polite for old fashioned) when they were new :) definitely one of Raleighs best imo

Back