Mavic open 4CD rims with 28mm tyres?

stormed

Dirt Disciple
As per title, I have a pair of 13mm internal rim width open 4CD rims on 105 1055 Shimano hubs, currently on my commuter, but I was hoping to use them for my touring bike build.
Can anyone speak from experience with regards to whether 28mm tyres (Gatorskins most likely, that's all I ever use) will be OK on these rims, on a light-medium duty tourer application? I know its borderline, and Sheldon Brown's chart (https://www.sheldonbrown.com/tyre-sizing.html) says no, but practical experience from the smart folk here on Retrobike would be most helpful.

Re: Re:

Crambie":kx0k22pp said:
Not the same setup but I've fitted Clement Strada USH 32c's on Ambrosio Excellight's which are 14mm and they've been fine. However I don't load the bike up, not sure if that would make any difference though.

Ok, that’s interesting. How did they feel when riding? Must have looked like lightbulbs!

I’d stay with 25mm especially if you are going to load up with panniers, saddle bag etc...

Nob":391naeie said:
I’d stay with 25mm especially if you are going to load up with panniers, saddle bag etc...

Ok, so you’d favour the narrower 25mm tyres over the 28mm, since they’re more compatible with my 13mm rims? How will the 25mms stand up to the useage?
FWIW I am 50kg, the bike is Reynolds 531 with two rear panniers and perhaps two light front panniers too, or a handlebar bikepacking bag. No off-road use, all tarmac.

Re: 32's

I run the same rims with 700 x 32. They look fine, ride is very comfortable. I'm 19st and the set up copes with me just fine. Cheers Bill.

Back