Recommend me a silver 6sp. chain please

julianm

Retro Guru
Time for a new block & 3/32 chain so have had a quick look for a silver chain to look smart & match the block & it seems they are now another 'collector's item', priced as though they are actually solid silver.
Can anyone recommend an alternative? I'm not that bothered about the period correct thing when it comes to chains. Many thanks, Julian

I just bought some cheap planet x "made by YBN" ones, haven't used them yet but they look OK. a fiver plus postage

I think KMC also do a cheapish one. Shimano too probably. 3/32" chains are only priced high if they're NOS sedis, XTR, or similar. There are plenty of modern options

Re:

Thanks a lot for the tips. I did find a Wipperman which looked Ok - a bit more expensive but I think they have a good reputation. Will get something ordered before getting the summer bike out in the next week or so.

Re:

plenty of silver 9 speed or even 10 speed chains out there which would work, albeit they're not retro

Re:

Thanks for that - I'm no good with 9/10 speed stuff & thought that the chain must become narrower to fit into the smaller spacing in the block - is that true of 11 speed?

Re:

yes, the chain is narrower to fit in the spacing between the cogs.
But internally, it will run ok - you can run any chain up to 10 speed* on virtually any 3/32 chainwheel ok. It will probably even change slicker as its more flexible. The downside is, it will stretch easier and cos the pins are flush, may be more prone to breaking

* I don't own any 11 speed so cant comment on if it fits

Re:

I ended up getting a Wippermann connex 8 speed chain & it has the simplest system I've ever used for making the connection - very impressed. It's so easy I think I'll remove the chain every time I need to give it a thorough clean & just pop it in a bath of diesel.

Back