Time pedal timeline ?

Pionir":25bjxhn8 said:
There is no tension control as the spring is only for locating the cleat not retaining it (the red clip does that along with the central plate which the rear cleat clips underneath). It's difficult to clip in manually but should be very easy with the foot.

Is the red clip a bit loose? (it should be). If you slightly rotate your foot does it go in?

Thanks for this, I will refit the pedals and give it another go. I have never used time before and so it may just be that I need to develop the "knack"

Are you toe down or flat foot? Or pushing/holding your foot forwards/into the front of pedal?

You need to be pushing down with a flat foot. Allow the cleat to move backwards a bit (or it'll never go it)

(I made this mistake when i got my first times!)

It's completely different from any of the look style pedals.

Yes, I forgot how flat you have to push down compared to Look (it'll be 30 years on Time next year!) and the slightly rearwards movement.

The mechanism is fantastic once you understand how it works. The spring tension is just to get engagement. Once it's in it's held under the mid-plate and can only release by either moving back or rotating. The red clip pops up to stop it moving back leaving only the rotation.

During engagement it needs to move back against the spring to allow the hook of the rear cleat to go under the mid-plate. If you're pushing too hard forwards this is difficult.

I've never unclipped accidentally once whereas with Look you're relying on spring tension and sharp edges on the cleat to engage with the rear clip, which obviously round off over time.

Here's a quick and dirty guide i just knocked up :)

Attachments

• time pedal release.jpg
    time pedal release.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 148
Been a Time man every since there first pedals came out in 84..
Currently riding Xpresso 12 & 15 models & just great pedals :)

Pionir,

Great diagram! That is a great help, I was engaging toe first and then pushing down :facepalm: .

Looks like I will have to wait until the weekend to give it a go, but will let you know how I get on.

Back