Holdsworth Frame Numbers

Those front forks have nice sloping shoulders, not sure that Marlborough (Holdsworth owners late ‘85 - early ‘87) made those? So as CB says, maybe a post ‘87 Falcon Holdsworth. Have you checked the number on the stearing tube? The digits might be easier to read.

Thanks for the reply!

Full frame number is 806683.

The internal cable routing was from all accounts from new.

The Cinelli quilled stem is completely seized inside so that’s battle no.1!

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Anidel,

re: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/273635180493

I'd place this as a c.1953 Holdsworth Whirlwind. This is first year for new "Whirlwind" lugs, replacing Sirocco style lugs. Number 17657, according to Dave Scrimshaw's present prediction guide places to c.1953. (Backed up by his data.) Interestingly, number placement along edge of BB is different than usual, as was most commonly seen on rear drive side dropout in 1953 and prior to that year, across BB. Decals and many components are post 1953 and would suggest to me a rebuild in 70's.

FYI: I have a c.1951 Sirocco (only year of this named model) and for the next and single year of 1952 the model retained the "Sirocco" style lugs but was renamed the Whirlwind: https://www.flickr.com/photos/76762476@ ... 4687109062

Doug

PS: I have edited as initially I mistakenly said this was probably made as a special in Putney shop. I know better. The shop did not start actually making the specials until 1957 under Collard when he left factory and was hired on by Roy Thame. However, the Whirlwind was the top of the line and as said in catalogue description they were all made to buyer's specs, as attested by some of frame features.

Attached pic of frame in question and 1953 catalogue page from Kilgariff site:

Attachments

• Whirlwind53.jpg
    Whirlwind53.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 856
  • s-l1600-83.jpg
    s-l1600-83.jpg
    303.5 KB · Views: 857
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
I have just boutgh a Holdsworth with frame number 015870 which makes the year 1978 I think. But, it's definately an 81. Can the numbering system be thay far out?

Back