What is one of these called??

GTR

Dirt Disciple
So very annoyingly, 2 months into my possession and having survived for 84 years, a piece of my family history flew off into the undergrowth as I changed down the gears pulling up outside my house this evening. :x

It was just after 5 so getting dark and couldn't see it despite looking with the head torch. I will keep looking but don't hold out much hope, and in the event I have no luck what do I look for if I want one of these? I'm talking about the little wheel attached to the frame at the base of the saddle stalk which the gear cable runs around - it has a thread I see which I didn't realise...just thought it was a bit wobbly due to age and was riveted to the tube somehow otherwise I'd have tightened it! Being a small wheel it's probably going to have travelled under all the bushes never to be seen again :cry:

Thanks folks, it's this bit:

Attachments

• IMG_1356.jpg
    IMG_1356.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 769
Re:

I might be able to help out. Is it just the wheel or the right angle metal retainer and bolt too?

Re:

A little disappointed it hasn't got a special name!
Still no luck despite vicious pruning & hands & CSI searching technique.
However, I have found someone with a metal detector I can hopefully borrow (good call)
The whole thing has gone unfortunately PeeTee, but thanks for your kind offer.

Re:

Try posting a wanted ad in the MTB section. They are sometimes used on MTBs with a top tube cable routing and a bottom pull front mech. It's unlikely you'll get a pukka sturmey branded one though

Re:

Thanks for those - definite options, although I would shy away from the modern one just because it seems rude to shove that on when there's more period appropriate ones available (never say never though).
I have located the 'wheel' with the metal detector but unfortunately the retaining screw & hood thing that stopped it slipping off were no longer attached. I'll have another go, but I wonder whether these went adrift elsewhere.

Having just spent a freezing evening trying to adjust the front brakes (and ending up making them progressivly worse until I now have none at all & half a brake lever missing :facepalm: ) ...and after gouging the obligatory chunk out of my finger, I think I am going to have to fix the chain on my old bike and get the old girl properly fettled.

So, anyone know of anywhere in the Maidstone, Kent area who would be capable of doing a sympathetic service on a 1930's Raleigh - I don't think I'd trust someone only familiar with the latest Halfords type stock to do it justice (although they couldn't do worse than me!)

Perhaps I should do a separate thread asking for recommendations?

Thanks all.

Back