Legless or lugged?

Merlin72

Retro Newbie
I have a Hobbs,c1950's, which seems to have a combination of lugless and lugged joints on the frame. I have been told that it should have either one or the other and not a combination of the two. Unfortunately I can't find a frame number and was wondering if anyone has seen this before on a Blue Riband? Any help is appreciated.

Mix and matching is available :). Also Google Bilaminate lugs for extra info on what things can look like.

Re:

Hi, sounds an interesting frame, pictures would be nice. One of the advantages of a lugless frame is flexible ( I don't mean frame rigidity :D ) frame angles, after the war we must presume lugsets were limited, and mainly pre war, the trends were for more upright angles ( exotic continental angles :D ), added to this was probably an old school mistrust of lugless frames hence the lovely 'bi-laminate' frames of the late 40's and early 50's, in which the bi-laminates are simply decorative joint strengtheners. So your frame could be a half way house, a Hobbs attempt at a bi-laminate, or one half of the frame standard angles ( lugged ) and the other half, a custom angle for the buyer ( reach ? ). Just some thoughts, but a picture please, Terry

Merlin72":2kdxhoks said:
I have a Hobbs,c1950's, which seems to have a combination of lugless and lugged joints on the frame. I have been told that it should have either one or the other and not a combination of the two. Unfortunately I can't find a frame number and was wondering if anyone has seen this before on a Blue Riband? Any help is appreciated.

As it lacks a frame number it may not be a Hobbs, lugless/fillet brazed frames are the Cinderella's of the classic world, they ride superbly - especially Hobbs, and were well regarded in the day and nowadays by those that are lucky enough to have one.

Rk.

Re:

The frame has been resprayed by my late Dad so whether he has sprayed over the frame number. I have posted s couple of pics

Attachments

• received_370032923794205.jpeg
    received_370032923794205.jpeg
    146.8 KB · Views: 342
  • received_307046886667539.jpeg
    received_307046886667539.jpeg
    108.5 KB · Views: 342
Frame number will be stamped on the non-drive side rear drop out, paint looks like a rattle can job so just rub some paint off to reveal the number - it will begin with a letter.

Rk.

Back