Falcon Team Banana: Information required

Cavalier65

Dirt Disciple
I'm looking to buy my first vintage road bike. To begin with I just want a decent, usable bike as I'm wanting to commute on it. I've seen a Falcon Team Banana that interests me but can anyone tell me whether it's been resprayed? Most Falcon Bananas that I see have white front forks and a white fade on the crossbar. Has the all yellow bike been resprayed or did Falcon offer two different colour schemes?
Any more information on the bike would be much appreciated. Anyone know what years they were made? How are they regarded in the vintage bike community? I know it isn't one of the lightweight replica Bananas and that's ok. I just want a good honest interesting vintage bike at the moment. One that I can use every day.
Thank you

Attachments

• IMG_4471.JPG
    IMG_4471.JPG
    27.5 KB · Views: 745
Cavalier65":1lvl21wn said:
I'm looking to buy my first vintage road bike. To begin with I just want a decent, usable bike as I'm wanting to commute on it. I've seen a Falcon Team Banana that interests me but can anyone tell me whether it's been resprayed? Most Falcon Bananas that I see have white front forks and a white fade on the crossbar. Has the all yellow bike been resprayed or did Falcon offer two different colour schemes?
Any more information on the bike would be much appreciated. Anyone know what years they were made? How are they regarded in the vintage bike community? I know it isn't one of the lightweight replica Bananas and that's ok. I just want a good honest interesting vintage bike at the moment. One that I can use every day.
Thank you

It's a budget bike and looks like a dealer sale, see Nobs comment on the Kellogs = £75 tops.

Rk.

roadking":2vtxvd2l said:
Cavalier65":2vtxvd2l said:
Thank you

It's a budget bike and looks like a dealer sale, see Nobs comment on the Kellogs = £75 tops.

Rk.

Thanks. I'm finding out that sellers think their vintage bikes are worth a fortune no matter what. A guy on Ebay has a Falcon Cotswold for sale as spares or repair - asking price £130. He admits it needs a respray and new front wheel so you can imagine what else needs fixing and replacing. With this in mind I offered him £40 which he laughed at. He seems to think it's worth hundreds when restored.

Cavalier65":3tzyoo6j said:
roadking":3tzyoo6j said:
Cavalier65":3tzyoo6j said:
Thank you

Rk.

Thanks. I'm finding out that sellers think their vintage bikes are worth a fortune no matter what. A guy on Ebay has a Falcon Cotswold for sale as spares or repair - asking price £130. He admits it needs a respray and new front wheel so you can imagine what else needs fixing and replacing. With this in mind I offered him £40 which he laughed at. He seems to think it's worth hundreds when restored.

There's a few about unfortunately and especially on ebay.

Falcon made the whole range over the years from very nice all the way down to utter rubbish and the Banana and Kellogs were running around near the bottom. People see things like San Remo's or Professionals going for good money and think every Falcon is worth a fortune, it happens in every hobby when things get collectable.

To get value for money do a bit more research (this site is an invaluable font of that). Ideally stay away from the lower end output from the obvious names, unless it's offered at sensible money stay away from farther up the range as well and the componentry fitted to any bike will give a good clue as to quality.

By the way I've got to make some room for ongoing projects so have a couple that I've finished that I should really sell. If you want to send me a DM saying where in the country you are, what sort of thing are you looking for and what sort of budget are you looking at? I might be able to help

Re:

Falcon made a few versions on the Banana theme, the one cosmetically closest to the team bike was the Team Banana Race 12 which I think had Reynolds 500 tubing ( heavy )and the yellow and white Falcon team colours. The bottom model was the Cadet Team Banana which was all yellow and even heavier.

allenh":1q64yxzd said:
By the way I've got to make some room for ongoing projects so have a couple that I've finished that I should really sell. If you want to send me a DM saying where in the country you are, what sort of thing are you looking for and what sort of budget are you looking at? I might be able to help

Thanks but I'm too far away unfortunately (Yorkshire).

As this is going to be my first vintage bike and a workhorse commuter, I'm not looking to spend silly money. I'm looking at between £200 & £300. If I find I like road biking, I'll look towards something more collectable and valuable. This initial purchase it just a step into vintage bikes really. Anyone got any good suggestions? I went to look at a Bob Jackson in Harrogate today but it was too tall for me. I liked the Reynolds tubing though. It certainly felt light.

Cavalier65":3a3zua7q said:
allenh":3a3zua7q said:

As this is going to be my first vintage bike and a workhorse commuter, I'm not looking to spend silly money. I'm looking at between £200 & £300. If I find I like road biking, I'll look towards something more collectable and valuable. This initial purchase it just a step into vintage bikes really. Anyone got any good suggestions? I went to look at a Bob Jackson in Harrogate today but it was too tall for me. I liked the Reynolds tubing though. It certainly felt light.

No problem, thought I'd offer and that sort of budget should certainly get something nice and a bit better than entry level from a big manufacturer.

Anyway good luck in your quest

allenh":5d7v1qrk said:
Cavalier65":5d7v1qrk said:
allenh":5d7v1qrk said:

No problem, thought I'd offer and that sort of budget should certainly get something nice and a bit better than entry level from a big manufacturer.

Anyway good luck in your quest

Out of interest do you have anything in that price range or are your bikes higher end.

The two I'm thinking of are a bit more than that but probably not hugely higher (i'm thinking 350 to 450), and I quite often have restored bikes in the upper end of your price range.

Back