Improving Brakes - Steel rims 1935 Raleigh

Re:

Apparently iPod touch photos too big....

Attachments

• IMG_1357.jpg
    IMG_1357.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 441
  • IMG_1365.jpg
    IMG_1365.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 441
Hi Rob, my 2 vintage 50's bikes came equipped with the standard Raleigh drop handlebars of the time, usually Maes type (e.g. Reynolds alloy) or Reg Harris Road Bend (chrome steel). For pre war one name that comes to mind is Lauterwasser, I understand that they were fitted to top end racers at the time including Raleigh, and they seem to be half-drop, as suggested by your father.

Re the brakes, must admit I agree with Woz: I have found that steel rims where the chrome on the braking surface has partly worn off, and with surface rust, are better for braking.
In my experience I find that the braking surface on stainless steel wheels or new chrome wheels is too smooth and shiny, and especially in the wet ... can be scary !!

Re:

Thanks Craigmount, that does make perfect sense about the wear on the rims. I guess it's getting the balance you can live with, and not making them so rough that you'd be replacing the blocks every week!

I do like the look of the Lauterwasser bars - there are some nice reproductions available as well which would make life easier as far as sourcing some. The current bars are set at a 'jaunty' angle which I need to sort out really...not sure what my Dad was thinking!! :shock:

Attachments

• IMG_1354.jpg
    IMG_1354.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 425
Re:

Lauterwasser bars were simply a way to get a decent forward position on frames with very shallow angles. This was a strange fashion in the mid 30s. Your Raleigh looks about 67 head angle, typical of the date. Raleigh completely revised their range for 1938, most bikes were 71 head angles fully brazed up, 26 inch wheels and low bottom bracket, to replace the antiquated shallow angle 28 inch wheel roadster bikes.

Keith

I was commuting on a bike with chrome rims about 10 years ago. I never found a good solution for the wet braking other than regularly feathering the brakes to dry them off. I didn’t know about the oil trick though, I’ll remember that for one day.

Back