1952 Hetchins MB

I did the stripping, rust treatment and polishing, then it went to A Class Metal Finishes in Lonsdale for the copper / nickel / chrome plating and polishing and finally to Bikes By Steve for the awesome paint job. It should be good for another 60+ years now.

Big Block":1sljy7fb said:
these firms suggest you also live far from where it was built.

Yes, Bikes by Steve and I am located in Melbourne, Australia. And A Class is located at Lonsdale on the outskirts of Adelaide - the very best restoration platers I have found anywhere.

Re:

I use A-Class as well. For me, it is a 20 minute drive.
They are very good to deal with.

We also have very talented frame painters and liners in Adelaide.
Many Australian frames of the 1940s and 50s had extraordinary decoration and we have a talented artisan who can reproduce the lines, scrolls and feathers of the period.

what components are you going to use for the build?

Philip

I believe it was originally built as a Tour of Britain spec bike, so GB brakes and levers, GB toe clips, Renolds domed seat post, Conloy rims on high flange BHC's, Cyclo ToB gearset (2 x 4speed), front and rear derailleur (the front is a lever type), original Gnutti headset, coventry chain and a couple of items that were 'optional' in Hetchins '52 catalogue - a Chater Lea double chain ring fluted crankset, Titan stem with Maes/Kint bars and Brooks saddle, bar wrap and toe straps. Oh and a pair of Coloral bottles and matching bar mount cage.

I now face an awful lot of work getting all of the components to a standard commensurate with the frame.

Re:

An observation Hetchins rarely fixed Reynolds decals to their framesets (they never built gas tube frames !), and only attached decals at the customer's request - then often at the rear of the seat tube - not the front.

My own '49 Super Special has the decal on the rear of the seat tube.

I find, and this is a general comment, that when enthusiasts restore frames, they get carried away with Reynolds decals...seat tube, fork blades !

Rk.

It will definitely be ridden, but also on display. I try to average a minimum 100km per annum on each bike. Steve wants it on his display at the Hand Made Bicycle Show next year, so I'd better keep it nice until then.

Back