Help identifying Hary Hall frame Ted Pritchard

Third and last time - I've also received a picture showing the head tube transfer so its back to the drawing board though Steve Ford at Lloyds has now been asked if he can add these to his lists.

Attachments

• P1030618.JPG
    P1030618.JPG
    124.1 KB · Views: 477
  • P1030615.JPG
    P1030615.JPG
    137 KB · Views: 477
  • IMG_2097.PNG
    IMG_2097.PNG
    102.1 KB · Views: 477
Sorry - didn't get the photos. There is a limit to size of files which may be preventing their being sent.
Curiouser and curiouser. Almost certainly the Pollard decal refers to the Coventry frame builder. So is it a Pollard rather than a Pritchard? As other contributors have said it was common for many cycle shops to outsource the manufacture of their frames, and one contributor (Dave 29th October 2016) who worked for Ted Pritchard confirmed that at that time Ted sub contracted from Holdsworth. He also refurbished others and branded them with his name. After 50 years it is virtually impossible to establish true provenance.
If you haven't seen it already, try this link about Pollard cycles http://www.classiclightweights.co.uk/bu ... llard.html Notice the similarity with the white shield on the badge?! So is yours a Pollard, one made by Ted Pritchard or one built by another maker? Whatever it is it will certainly be a quality lightweight 1950s/60s frame. The frame number is four digits - same format as mine (on the BB) but I have so far failed to pin down the maker. I'll renew my research and if I come up with anything I'll let you know.

Ah! The photos have just come through. Yes the headbadge was gold as I suspected - and "Lightweight by" in top left (I was sort of on the right track!). The downtube script is different to mine - mine is the same as on the gold frame in the original post. I can vouch for the authenticity of my version as I had a respray in the late 60s and obtained the transfers direct from the Chobham shop. Yours may be from a different vintage. Yours appears to have Nervex Pro lugs - popular in the early 60s and used by many framebuiders. Mine are curlier and I've not identified them yet - still working on it. One question - on the BB underneath all the paint you may find a small oval punch mark which could point towards Holdsworth as the maker.

No, I've rubbed more paint off the BB shell but no oval mark; the Nervex name and serial have been revealed though. The picture of the badge was taken by the previous owner when he was partly stripping down this frame and he took dimensions of it too which will be useful. I've already made contact with the V-CC's Marque Enthusiast for W & E Pollard cycles and whilst he's forwarded my pictures to Eddie Pollard for a further opinion he seems pretty certain it isn't a Pollard. So the odds are I'm happy it's a Ted Pollard as such. I'll have another go with the artwork..
Thanks for your help and comments.
Shaun

By way of an update chaps,

my I.T guru friend has polished up my artwork and using the known dimensions of the badge has now produced the image which he'll have printed up on waterslide decal paper. This will be available to me over the next couple of weeks and whilst renovation of my Ted Pritchard frame has yet to commence I'll try a sample and see how it looks. If it works ok then I'll be pleased to help anyone who needs to finish their frame.

And if this image doesn't come up - seems always hit or miss trying to upload pics here then just pm me for further details.

Shaun

Attachments

• Ted Pritchard Transfer.png
    Ted Pritchard Transfer.png
    14.6 KB · Views: 355
  • Ted Pritchard Transfer.png
    Ted Pritchard Transfer.png
    14.6 KB · Views: 355
Hi
Very impressive indeed, and as close to an original as possible after 50 years! I have yet to finish my own TP renovation and if you are OK with it could I get a couple or three from you, please? Happy to share with costs of production.

Andrew

,More than happy to help anyone with a TP renovation job Andrew, I'll send you a pm when I receive the finished article, probably after Christmas. No costs.

Shaun

Andrew, I've sent you a pm... work still in progress re transfers

Going back to who built frames for Ted Pritchard I think I can add something to this query. One of my club mates in the Middlesex RC, Jim Claridge who himself later built lightweight frames under his own name bought a Ted Pritchard frame from the man himself back in the day. Later another rider who worked at Wally Green's in Hendon recognised his handiwork on the lugs of Jim's frame. Jim mentioned this to Ted Pritchard whom he says 'was unimpressed.' Apparently the identity of who built the frames was a trade secret.
Anyone know of any Jim Claridge frames?

Shaun

Back