winter road tyres 700c?Tis slippy time again!!

half cog

Senior Retro Guru
Simply what keeps you in the saddle and not on the tarmac?Been running lithion 2 over summer but starting to think a bit of tread might be a good idea.Trying to avoid stuff that is over heavy and wondered what others had found to work well.

Michelin Pro4 Endurance 28c, I bought them as I was getting sick of sidewall failures with Contis (GP4000/4Season/UltraGatorskin the same story with all of them).
Two years and they are still going strong with only a few tread cuts. They are also safe on nasties like road markings and drain covers. (My normal ride routes take in plenty of cattle grids and flinty roads but generally no thorns, fwiw.)

Thanks for that. Interesting re the ultra gatorskins as we use them on the road tandem and have done for years with no problems whatsoever.27c if I remember right and at 100 psi. My question was based on the fact that I want to ride the whole winter this year come what may and I find I dont bounce as well as I used to.I will have a look at the michelins.Its the road grip that I am concerned with and there is such a hugh range of tyres out there that any info is much appreciated.I thought some might advise on what not to buy rather than recommend but even that is usefull. Thanks again
Peter

The new Conti GP5000 looking like a very grippy tyre in wet conditions

Pirelli is a good option as there rubber is very sticky on roads just like there car tyres

Thank you. Will have a look at the gp5000 and pirelli. Am tending towards the pro4 at the moment as I ride michelin all summer. I think there is enough choice there now. Just needs me to stop being neurotic and make a choice. Thanks for the help
Regards
Peter

Re:

GP 5000’s for winter tyres. You guys are in a different world from me. Wow such luxury.
In my world I use Specialized Roubaix Pro’s in a 25 or 28 depending on the bike. Good grip wet and dry not heavy and also affordable so if you do split a side wall on a stone you won’t cry.

Attachments

• 46EA6696-5A3E-4CC4-ADA5-FDAA447A81C7.jpeg
    46EA6696-5A3E-4CC4-ADA5-FDAA447A81C7.jpeg
    34.4 KB · Views: 717
Re:

Got to admit the price on the 5000s put me off somewhat for what is only the winter bike.Anyhow ordered the pro4s now.Looked at the reviews and most everyone said good things about them. Going for the mid ground. Been running 23s and going on to 25s. Much bigger and I will struggle with clearances.Looked at Pirelli but there are a lot of complaints about side walls going . I started wanting some tread but in reality i dont think tread is going to make much difference on ice and when it comes down to just wet roads it is probably more down to the compound used. Yet again thanks to all for the input
peter

Re: Re:

jm":1tlxuz4b said:
GP 5000’s for winter tyres. You guys are in a different world from me. Wow such luxury.

Quite. 4000s last around 1000 miles on summer roads round me, not inclined to try £45ish racing tyres in the winter! I'm sure they are gorgeous to ride (GP4000 worth 1 minute on my 18 mile loop over Gators).

Having a bit of light tread definitely helps when it's damp, greasy, and there's a bit of gritty stuff on the road. I commute on Michelin Classics. I find the basic rubber they're made of makes them less prone to punctures in the cold damp as well. Michelin Pro 3 put me off using any kind of road/race tyre through the winter - properly bad experience.

I’d give the Michelin Pro 4 Endurance a big thumbs up...I’ve got the 25C size on my winter bike with Vittoria latex inner tubes. No punctures at all on some pretty rank back roads around Dorset and they roll really nicely. I did several winters on Conti Gatorskins, I was pretty underwhelmed by these - they felt slow compared to the Michelin and punctured a few times each winter.

Latest posts

Back