Campag Record Triple set up

Cotterpein

Dirt Disciple
Good morning
I am still working on the Eroica compatible/easy climbing build. I have purchased a Colnago Saronni frame ( pantographed version) and a Record triple chainset. The brief is to use as much Campag Record as possible, so I plan to use a Chorus 8 speed rear because it gives the wider choice of sprockets with a 28t cassette but everything else Record.

What Record front mech and shifters do I need to work with the triple?

If anyone has parts suitable for the project, wheels, seatpost, mechs, shifters, cassette, BB please pm me.

As Ergos are not acceptable for Eroica, any downtube shifters will work.

Frankly all I've heard about Synchro shifters suggests that the indexing is sufficiently vague to be a waste of time and you might as well run in friction mode.

I've successfully run Campag front triple shifters with Shimano thumbies and a menagerie of other things. Provided you have enough cable pull to get from middle to top, you can have the cable just go slack for the inner ring.

Re:

I run a Nuovo Record triple with standard record front & rear derailleurs and friction levers with no issues.
I only use freewheels upto 7 speed with a large cog of 25 - so not sure if using with an 8 would make make any difference.

Re:

Thanks for the replies. Sounds like the triple set up is not too fussy, that is what I love about older bikes!

Re:

I have 2 older bikes running Campag triples
1. 1983 Carlton Pro mk V, running full retro modern, Ergos, 3x9. Awesome ride and setup. Mix of Record and Racing-T
2. 1980 Carlton Clubman 3x9 running friction shift off downtube shifters. Works perfectly but less crisp than Ergos as you need to be quite precise. If you go 3x8, that absolute precision will ease a little. Mix of Veloce and comp triple.

The 8spd and pre "QS" 9speed Ergos work perfectly with triples and doubles. If you have QS left hand side, I think they are more specific as they have stopped shifts, where the older ones are a straight ratchet.

This is the "Incognito Pro" - painted as a Raleigh by previous owner. Paint still excellent, so slumming till it needs redone...
46482237_10156999133248130_5200033238751379456_o.jpg

I'm running an old school triple - early 80's Nuovo Record triple crank with a Rally rear derailleur and 14-34 6 speed on a Scapin cromovelato Columbus SL frame. I've fitted it with Nisi Laser rims laced to high flange Nuovo Record hubs and run 28mm Dugast Roubaix tubulars. It manages the hills and the gravel just fine.

Thanks for the additional info, Bigfoz and Captnslow. The Incognito Carlton looks great and the Scapin sounds like a delight.

I am guessing the frame is 126 at the rear. If so and you want to run 8speed you will need to coldset the rear drop outs or adopt the “it’s only 2 mm a side and steel is springy, so shove it in” approach.

My preference would be to keep the frame as is and run 6 or 7 speed, there are plenty of freewheels out there that would do the job for you.

I was lucky, mine was already 130, and was straight, so took 9spd happily. However I have bought frames before that were destroyed by cold setting.

Back