Help - Curved seat stays or damage?

Joe_Rides

Senior Retro Guru
I've just put this up for sale, but was mentioned on here that the stays might be bent rather than intentionally curved. I don't want to sell anyone a damaged bike so would appreciate any input.

I can't see any other apparent damage to the frame, everything lines up fine, wheel placement is where it should be, both seat stays are equally curved.

Would there be any sure-fire ways to identify whether it's damage?

More pics on this thread;

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=392499

Joe

Attachments

• 20181209_120446 - Copy.jpg
    20181209_120446 - Copy.jpg
    195.9 KB · Views: 767
  • 20181209_120700.jpg
    20181209_120700.jpg
    193.5 KB · Views: 767
Jakob":33cqzrni said:

I found that link also but there are slight differences in spec so I though mine could be a later model or something like that.

Would be interested whether anyone knows whether it's actually possible to bed stays so equally and without moving the rear wheel position. Is there a way I can measure the frame or check it somehow?

If it's bent it's not the end of the world.

Re:

It would be worth looking at where the seat stays meet the top lug. If they were bent after it was build then the brazing should be damaged where the stays have moved. The tube ends are in line with the seat stays initial direction so it would have to have twisted/broken the brazing.

Cheers
Ed

They folded under heavy braking I’d say.....& now weakened by a tremendous amount & need replacing or frame junking unless you want to visit a hospital anytime soon......

hamster":23ox378s said:
You can't brake that hard without the rear wheel locking up first.
The guy liked doing doughnuts & the seat stays are obviously inferior poor quality steel......

Still not 100% on this but I certainly don't want to pass a "dangerous" bike on so will probably end up breaking it for parts. Luckily I have another road bike I need to sell which is missing parts, so I guess everything can be swapped on to that.

It's a real oddity for sure. I'd expect to see stress in the paint if it were damage. On the other hand, that's a bloody weird bend if deliberate. I'd probably keep it for gentle duties if it were mine.

Ah Ha! I did this to a Raliegh Arena in 1985... :oops:
I had a heavy (Ex Post office) steel panier rack on the back which I used to sit on whilst arsin about, (the bike was a 19.5" frame and I was by then 6'1"....)

Down hill as fast as I could then over a skate board ramp... surprisingly the wheel survived! :facepalm:

Probably because the stays didn't...... :xmas-big-grin:

Back