Advice on Pinarello Banesto replica project

Interesting about the decals; good to know ;)
2 more pics, hope you like it !

Attachments

• IMG-20171103-WA0002.jpg
    IMG-20171103-WA0002.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 1,280
  • IMG-20171103-WA0005.jpg
    IMG-20171103-WA0005.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 1,280
Having considered all the evidence it's fair to conclude that this is a 1993/4 Banesto Oria ML34 and not a Stelvio which has considerably different features and which came later and featured oversize Kens/Dolmen tubing. I add this note for the benefit of those trying to id their frame. Having researched an awful lot (and owning an Oria ML 34 myself) I am of the view that Pinarello probably used the Montello as the design template for this model. Interestingly mine has the concealed rear brake cable entry and exit both on the upper surface of top tube as per the Montello. They share many features with the Montello- the top of the range until 1992. The early? Oria ML34 models appear to have been produced with "Pinarello" decals on the 3 main tubes with the Banesto colour stripes, otherwise they are the same as the Oria ML34 "Banesto" decaled model.

Agreed, not a Stelvio but a Banesto Oria ML34 Team bike, if we can say so without having any Banesto decals... But looking it over again I agree the frame is the same. There is a blog from Stephan Roche showing this banesto team bike model just with Pinarello decals. Was it based on the early Vuelta model though ?

Anyhow, also top of the range like Montello from which you well say it inheritates some details like bridgeless reinforced and engraved BB .

At that time we know there was the official team bike provided by the official sponsor (this one) but then some riders used other bikes (made by pegoretti, or later by razesa, with other tubing...) that's why maybe there is some confusion when people like me just research through some pics , and without priviledged material or contacts;( , depending on the rider.

Later on it seems other Banesto "team" bikes were made with Oria ML25 or Kens ARX Stelvio team bikes. Correct me if I'm wrong but where the Stelvio ones I would consider real Team bikes (or top of the range models / same frames could be used by pro's despite some ones choosed other builders) the ones made with ML25 should be better referred as replicas. That is in summary all my humble conclusions about my research (and mistakes) on my bike.

So we both have a Montello and a Banesto Team ;) 2 TDF winning bikes with Spanish riders

And thanks for the note!

jordic1968":3kwgiq43 said:
Agreed, not a Stelvio but a Banesto Oria ML34 Team bike, if we can say so without having any Banesto decals... But looking it over again I agree the frame is the same. There is a blog from Stephan Roche showing this banesto team bike model just with Pinarello decals. Was it based on the early Vuelta model though ?

The Stephen Roche Blog is mine (I own and wrote it, plus it's also my Banesto bike that's featured!). The frame is original but I built it up with custom components. No its not based on a Vuelta, it's closest in detail to a Montello, but it's not a Montello- it's a Banesto Oria ML34, known as the "Team" replica.

At that time we know there was the official team bike provided by the official sponsor (this one) but then some riders used other bikes (made by pegoretti, or later by razesa, with other tubing...) that's why maybe there is some confusion when people like me just research through some pics , and without priviledged material or contacts;( , depending on the rider.

The actual team bikes ridden by the pros also featured Oria ML34 at this time, but were built by Pinarello or a rider's preferred builder eg Indurain with Pegoretti and were decaled up as Pinarello. The frame you and I have is officially a "Team" replica, the closest you could get to what the pros were riding for Banesto at this time. I will mention that the Banesto Team did ride Razesa and TVT bikes with Banesto logos, and the concensus online is that these date from 1991 ie pre the Oria bikes.

Later on it seems other Banesto "team" bikes were made with Oria ML25 or Kens ARX Stelvio team bikes. Correct me if I'm wrong but where the Stelvio ones I would consider real Team bikes (or top of the range models / same frames could be used by pro's despite some ones choosed other builders) the ones made with ML25 should be better referred as replicas. That is in summary all my humble conclusions about my research (and mistakes) on my bike.

Not quite. The Oria ML34 was the higher of two official replicas launched at this time (1993): The "Team" Oria ML34 came with lots of chrome and a Record Groupset as standard. The lesser ML25, also launched in '93 was just referred to as "Replica" and this was actually written on the frame, it was fully painted in white(no chrome rear stays/chrome fork) and came with an Veloce/Avanti/Mirage groupset. I've owned one of these as well. Rides well but MUCH heavier frame and fork than the ML34. In 1994 the Banesto team changed their Oria ML34 bikes for tig welded (no lugs to head tube) Oria Cromovan bikes. Pinarello continued to bring out a number of their models in the white Banesto paint finishes, but these are not considered the original "replicas". They are really commemorative bikes and they span many models over an extended period post-1994. As the Banesto Team went into the late 90's I'm sure they rode other Pinarello bikes in new materials (Vuelta model with Dedacciai tubing is mentioned for 1997/:cool: and then aluminium (Pinarello Surprise? in 1999) ,and the paint scheme changed to blue or red from white-I've not researched this era as my own interest was in the steel frames up to 1994.

So we both have a Montello and a Banesto Team ;) 2 TDF winning bikes with Spanish riders

No, not quite: as I said, they are closest in design to the late Montello, but they are unique "Team" Oria ML34 models in themselves!

So here's a summary timeline:

1999 Banesto team riding alloy (Al) Pinarello bikes in blue Banesto paint scheme
1995-1998? Articles saying that Banesto Team were using Dedacciai oversized steel frames, including a blue "Vuelta" model in 1997/8. Dedacciai tig welded Dyna Lite referenced in regards Indurain's frame. Stelvio was a production cycle from 1993-8: I have found no evidence that it was actually used by the Banesto team, so I think this is one of the commemorative models when found in Banesto colours. Some discussion on Vuelta and Stelvio being very similar models.
1994 onwards: many "Banesto commemorative" models in white and Banesto colours based off standard range models
1994 Pinarello Oria Cromovan ridden by Banesto Team (no lugs to head tube)
1993/1994 Pinarello official replicas: "Team" replica in Oria ML34 (some with Banesto decals, some with Pinarello decals only), "Replica" in Oria ML25 available as frame only or complete bike (Team had Record groupset, ML25 had Veloce/Avanti/Mirage groupset)
1992/1993 Banesto team ride lugged Oria ML34 bikes; officially Pinarello but Indurain rides a Peggoretti-built bespoke frame badged Pinarello and other riders probably had their favoured builders too.
1992 Pinarello's top of the range steel framed production bike was the Montello
1990/1991 TVT (carbon tube, AL lugs) /Razesa Reynolds 653 frames (Spanish builder) supplied Banesto -sponsored bikes
Pre 1990: It was the "Reynolds" sponsored team

I have here a OriaML34 Pinarello in Banesto label in an pearl-white livery

Attachments

• Banesto_Pinarello 1994.jpg
    Banesto_Pinarello 1994.jpg
    188.6 KB · Views: 1,105
  • Ban.jpg
    Ban.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 1,104
Back