Remember your first 3 bikes? Then post some photos & history

Re:

This one. Pre-war even?
triang-catalogue.jpg

1st

1978-ish
A 3rd or 4th hand, solid tyred, red thing with a chopper-esque "seat" which I did untold mileage on during the school holidays. My regular run was from Maryhill to the pond in Kelvingrove Park and back, twice a day.... plus a heavy pinch of scooting about in between.

2nd

1980 or 81
An Elswick Hopper Folding Shopper, which probably just about bankrupted my Mum at the time. It just about killed me too because, as a very slight 9 year old, lifting a bike this heavy up to a "Tap-Dancer" (Glaswegian for top floor flat) was really not safe!

It looked like this one...

3rd 1984
A Peugeot BMX that I had lusted after in the Peugeot car showroom I walked past on the way to school every morning. It was Red, yellow and black in the colours of my favourite football team. Dont think it was high end, which was just as well as I was never going to win a BMX competition of any kind! Trying to find a pic...

Attachments

• hopper shopper.JPG
    hopper shopper.JPG
    72 KB · Views: 589
Well, here's my first (proper) bike:

Vague memory before that of a tri-ang (?) with solid tyres and a rod brake. Hand painted it was, too.

Attachments

• DSCF9766.jpg
    DSCF9766.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 538
Cool photo, but what is it? A Grifter?

Re:

The Grifter was not a bad jump bike compared to the Chopper, as long as you made a clean landing. The Raleigh bike forks of that era bent far too easily though, which meant parental grief and another trip to the lbs :facepalm:

Back