Peguot 1980s Robert Millar bike

Craig begg

Retro Newbie
Hi can anyone help with RaL colour for Roberts bike a sort of dark grey but mirrored forks and back triangle end to frame.

Also anyone help sourcing new retro brakes and parts I am rebuilding this bike to its splendour.

Re:

Hi, It would help if you could post a picture of what you have so far. Robert Millar had dozens of bikes in the 80`s , are you suggesting you have an actual bike that he rode? I take it you mean chrome forks and chrome rear triangle? . If you intend to build an accurate replica then you will have to have a decent budget and be patient sourcing parts but that`s all part of the fun. Once other forum members know what you actually want you will find plenty of help and guidance :)

Re:

Craig begg":66pxpw8e said:
Hi can anyone help with RaL colour for Roberts bike a sort of dark grey but mirrored forks and back triangle end to frame.

Also anyone help sourcing new retro brakes and parts I am rebuilding this bike to its splendour.

I can't help you with a RAL code but the bike you're describing would be a Peugeot PY-10 / Pro-10 which you can find images of pretty easily. It was available for most of the mid-eighties in one form or another in the grey/chrome. Whether that was precisely what Millar rode...

Re:

i think he also rode aluminium based on a vitus frame, badged as Peugeot.
From memory that was a charcoal frame with red and yellow flashes and bare silver forks and back end .... I may be wrong with the colours, its all a long time ago

then I think he had a charcoal Peugeot based on the carbon vitus too,

Re:

pigman":1ri16mv7 said:
i think he also rode aluminium based on a vitus frame, badged as Peugeot.
From memory that was a charcoal frame with red and yellow flashes and bare silver forks and back end .... I may be wrong with the colours, its all a long time ago

then I think he had a charcoal Peugeot based on the carbon vitus too,

For the benefit of OP Gavr , He rode the Peugeot models PY10FC `Fibre du Carbone` and PX10DU `979` Vitus as well as the custom built 531 / 753 `PRO10`s` if you google those models there will be loads of photos. Here is the `Fibre du carbone` he won king of the mountains on.

Attachments

• millarpug.jpg
    millarpug.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 1,183
Re:

Yes. I didn't want to stick my neck out and say that he always rode the stock frames from the catalog though. He was notoriously picky, especially when he thought that had a good chance at a stage. Having others make the frames and then spraying them in team colours for the sake of the sponsor, was a common trick in the peloton in those days for example.

Re:

True, it`s a practice that went on , I remember the great Joey Mcloughlin ,mostly ( but not always) rode Cougars sprayed as Peugeot and they were totally different to the stock Peugeot`s the rest of his team rode and easily distinguished by the BB shell, seat stays and braze on`s although its not a practice Peugeot were happy with and when he later went to Z Peugeot he only rode Pugs. I think when Peugeot decided to pull the plug on their own factory team and shut the Prestige frame shop they then went on to supply bikes ,frames and sometimes cars to smaller teams rather than cash sponsorship. I recall a few months ago a genuine Robert Millar 753 frame sold on ebay and it was def a Peugeot from the Prestige frame shop that they closed in 1984?

I am not sure whether the photo above is the same one but there is a Miller Peugeot and polka dot Jersey hanging in Billy Bilslands Shop in Glasgow. Should still be there even though I haven't been in for a while. Might be a good reference.

Jamie

Back