Remember your first 3 bikes? Then post some photos & history

Re: Can you remember your first three bikes?

not sure it was my first, but the first I can remember was a Puch BMX. red with shiny chrome bits, ran it for a few years between the ages of about 5 and about 8 or 9 I reckon. Some scrote stole if from the back garden one night. I remember my sister laughing her face off til I pointed out that they had moved hers from on top of mine and left hers behind, clearly indicating that mine was the best. That shut her up, still didn't feel like a win though.

After that was a Raleigh Activator, first bike I chose new myself from a real bike shop. 24" wheels, 21 gears, and suspension forks. I was the envy of the street and the playground. Its on this bike that I started to actually ride, if that makes sense. Just going off on my own or with mates for hours on end. Ran that one until I was nearly 14.

When I killed the Raleigh (snapped the forks on a drop-in) I used my dads Universal mountain bike for a while. It weirded me out as it had 26 inch wheels with fat slick tyres. *Only* 18 gears though so I thought it was pants. In reality it was, well it was pants, but it ran fine and got me around until I saved up enough for my GT Backwoods.

So technically my third bike was my GT. see extensive chatter in the build thread linked in my sig. Bought new by me with my own money what i saved around my 15th birthday

2nd ever MTB

meangreen2.jpg

Thats more like it... pretty pictures..... :D :D :D :D

BSA {Raleigh}3 speed 24"? wheels . Sun 5 speed, then my first lightweight a second hand S A Gillot which I rode round Isle of Skye on.

All Raleigh, Budgie, Tomahawk, Chopper then Olympus. Budgie was hand me down. Rest were new for birthday so three.

My Chopper was huge and purple.

The History Man":1hwll8k7 said:
My Chopper was huge and purple.
I understand there are pills available now that can stop that sentence being in the past tense

I know that was juvenile but I just couldn't resist :xmas-big-grin:

I’ll pitch them up, somebody will knock them out of the park.

And then there was this.

Attachments

• B1AE6B01-07CE-4C64-A62C-9A2BF0F49E52.jpeg
    B1AE6B01-07CE-4C64-A62C-9A2BF0F49E52.jpeg
    26.1 KB · Views: 175
Re:

My first bike with gears was an Emmelle Cheetah from around 1990, I was 9 at the time. 15 speed sis. IN white, green, yellow and blue. :D loved it. A surprise xmas present, from parents!

Number 2 was a GT Talera 1992, which donned a fluorescent yellow flexistem, thought it was the dogs bolox at the time :cool:. Bought it off a spoilt brat of a mate, who sold it to me for mere £150 (6 months old) ;)

Number 3 was a 1993 Orange Clockwork, with Suntour xc comp, in the blue and grey fade colour scheme. Paid £400 for it at Don Skime Cycles in Cardiff, 2nd hand, I think again around 6 months old, the old man went halfs with me paid £200 for it for my Birthday :D. This bike was basically used to death, it had served me well on a 9 month cycle tour of Europe, a month in the Himalayas, been raced, commuted on, been hit by a car, you name it endured it!

All bought from Halifords by parents for different birthdays. Sun GT; Raleigh Arena and Raleigh Banana. The first bike i bought myself was a Barry Hoban 531 frame & forks at a tender 20 yrs old from Hampton Hill cycles West London. Cost £200 in a sale. No pictures as no camera back then.

Back