Any D J Russell owners on forum, new bike in shed

wrinkleygit

Dirt Disciple
After a year of health problems now back in cycling mode & just acquired a new steed, found some info on Dave Russel but it would be nice to try & date it as well.
Its in origional condition with hardly a mark on the paintwork, only later additions are seat & bottle cage, frame is 21.5", 531competition, rear & fr mech are 600 (tricolour) brake levers & hubs are also 600 everything else is 105, serial no on bottom bracket looks like 111 D & either 81 or 91 ( difficult to make out), weighs in on my scales at 9.1kgs, any help appreciated, mike b.
pics here
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/wz6j2suytrq8 ... wa_aa?dl=0

Midlife":1nl3h8kr said:
Can't see the head badge, is it that stylised Swan thingy? Ultegra 600 is smart kit :)

Swan relates to the River Thames. DR originally worked in Slough, think he moved elsewhere later. Used to ride out to Staines with my club years ago, visited him once or twice.

Rk.

A pal of mine has one - in gate size. I have a pair of well-used red Dave Russell toestraps if you are interested.

I've got 2 - and have had 3 others as well, all from the late 60's/early 70's. I don't think yours is a Slough one as the badge and lettering is completely different to the styles he used at the Chalvey shop. It could well be from his Twyford shop days. Probably early 90's looking at the components?

Mine -

1972 but resprayed in '79.

1973 but resprayed at least 3 times!

Both have the correct transfers for '60's/70's period and he also had a 'Chinese' style lettering which dated back to his days with a stall in Slough Market.

They were both built as Time Trial bikes with steep angles and I raced on both BITD and in the late lamented 'Old Skool' Planet X time trial series some years ago. They have also been have used this summer on rides to the weekly Tuesday morning 'retro' meet at Birkin Cafe and still felt quite lively. More details on the builds can be found on the Classis Lightweights website in the 'Reader's Bikes' section.

Attachments

• 72DaveRussell10Feb.1.A.jpg
    72DaveRussell10Feb.1.A.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 787
  • RefurbDR.9.A.jpg
    RefurbDR.9.A.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 787
thanks for replies so far, starting to think this is an early 90's build rather than an 80's bike as was suggested by the vendor. H.owever ridden it a couple of times & its a stunner

Back