Can I fit tires on wider rims?

Ugo51

Retro Guru
Hello everyone,

I'd like to fit alloy rim onto my wife's Peugeot, which currently has 622x18 rims.
It seems to be a difficult size to find, most rims being 622x19 and I even found a very nice 622x20. Would this difference in width affect the fitting of the tire?

I ask this because it seems that fitting the same 700x28c Gatorskin tire on the back and front wheel was VERY different, it slotted in place very easily on the back wheel, but I had to struggle to fit the tire on the front wheel (which doens't have any marking on it, so I don't know exactly what width it is).

I would imagine that wider rims would make it harder to fit the tire, right?

That difference in rim width should not make any noticeable difference really. You are talking an increase of 1mm which I would put in the zone of measurement error myself for something like this.
In my experience there are some tyres that fit easier than others, and some rims which are easier to fit tyres onto than others, for a given size. some slide on with a gentle pull others need leverage and swearing.

Fantastic.
I will go with the slightly wider rim then, without trying too hard (or spending a fortune) to get a rim the same size as the one I have now.

Cheers

Re:

differences in difficulty in fitting tyres is usually down to rim diameter not rim width.

I don't know if holds true, but a saying is that French wheels are a bit smaller (easy fit) (eg Mavics), Italian wheels are slightly larger (hard fit) (campag, miche)

I have ksyriums and tyres fit easy. I have miches and it's always a wrestle.

The nominal diameter is obviously the same, but of course there could be small differences.
The rear, easy-fit, rim is indeed french.

The front is unmarked, no idea what it is.

Only time wider rims start to make a big difference to fitting is if you try something silly, like CX tyres on MTB width rims. It's the only time i've considered using tyre levers in the last ~15 years.

What you're considering is well within the realms of sensible.

Back