Carlton Pro Parts

doduffy88

Retro Newbie
Hello,

I have recently started using my late fathers Carlton Professional for club cycling. It had been kept in storage for the past 25 years and my mother was threatening to throw it out so I decided to get back into cycling again. A few months later I have done over a thousand miles on the bike and have utterly fallen in love with it. However the bike is now starting to show its age and I am at a loss as to what kind of components are currently available.

I would be extremely grateful if someone with a bit more knowledge could point me in the direction for a suitable replacement BB and Chainset (modern day replacement). The large chainring is now extremely worn and there is about 4mm lateral movement at cranks. I am more interested in using this bike for club riding than maintaining it as a vintage show bike. Thanks for your help.

Dan

dsc01199-44196235521-o.jpg
[/url]

[/img]

Very, very nice :) if the chainrings are worn then just get some new ones, looks like Arabesque 600 with DA chainrings so 130 BCD. Likewise the cup and cone BB can be serviced or replaced with a more modern Shimano un55 of the same length.

Lovely bike. Should be a trip to your local bike shop to get the parts suggested unless you have the tools and knowhow especially if changing to more modern parts which need different tools. The handlebar stem looks very high, is there a minimum insertion mark visible?

Re:

Hello,

Thanks for comments and suggestions;

I have already dropped the handlebars down. The bike is at my home in Thailand and I am working in the UK for the next two weeks. My intention was to pick up some parts from wiggle and bring them back for the local shop to install. Unfortunately I did not get a chance to measure the BB.

I was considering the following chain ring;

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ta-130-pcd-aliz ... gs-50-53t/

With regards to full restoration, that is something I might be interested in. I still have the original pedals and wheels. Is there someone in the UK who specializes in vintage restoration? The frame looks like it was hand painted in the areas where the tubes are welded together.

I also noticed this bike appears to be missing from Velobase, unless I am mistaken. I have really struggled to find any history or technical information about this bike. Thanks again gents.

Dan

The bottom bracket will be 68mm wide and need an axle around 115mm long. Those chainrings are very good with a price to match. You may do better asking on here or the London fixed gear site https://www.lfgss.com/microcosms/551/
to see if anyone has chainrings or chainset in better nick than yours.

Arguably the best bang per buck frame of the era, well made, essentially identical to the 531 Raleigh Professional but a lot cheaper, rode brilliantly. I've always wanted a proper one, got the 1982 version in the garage with no forks which some clown ground the braze on off to make a fixie.

Loads of info on the Internet :)

http://www.ece.ubc.ca/~gillies/raleigh/ ... ton77.html

Nob":b7va9vay said:
That’s worthy of a complete renovation :)

Deffo, lovely thing, you could do a slight retromod but if it were mine I'd keep it as period as possible. Luckilly all the service parts you should need are readily available and those TA chainrings are great replacements I use them quite a bit but to keep it period I'd go with silver ones rather than black

Personally I don't like the all black tyres on it, even if you do stay with the current wheels to keep with a period look I think it needs some colour on the sidewalls and ideally tan or amber.

Back