Beginner - new ride

Shoddy

Retro Newbie
Hi All,

This is my first venture into retro bikes. Bought a believ d to be 1974 Raleigh falcon this weekend from a chap that bought it new for £42. I promised to get it going and used again then send him so pics.... Gulp. Never dabbled with bikes much before so I'm sure to be having a good look through this site.

Plans... Well the original chrome wheels are past their best. It's a 6 speed and would like to keep similar. Is it easy enough to source some modern wheels and gearing? Just really want to update the running gear so to speak. If anyone has any links to other sources of info re the bike or stripping down and rebuilding that would be great.

Cheers
Craig

Attachments

• IMG_20180922_155707_479_resized.jpg
    IMG_20180922_155707_479_resized.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 295
Firstly check on the tyres - there should be a size marked eg 700x28C or 27" x 1 1/4". Tihs will tell you the wheel size. 27" is 630mm ETRTO, 700C is 622mm ETRTO.

New wheels are available. Steel are dreadful in every way, buy aluminium rim wheels. is you fit 700C (the commonest size now) then your brakes may not reach to the slightly (4mm-ish) smaller radius.

You also need to get the right hub width (OLN), yours may be 120mm or 126mm. Modern wheels are 130mm, which is no big deal, but you will need to spread and re-align the frame.

Wow, time warp even down to the lights :) looks like a falcon black diamond (not Raleigh), strangely despite being called black diamond and being available in black..... purple and red were the most popular colours

Back