Dating an FW Evans

phoog

Devout Dirtbag
Feedback
View
I've got this Evans, 26inch wheels, headclip headset, Chater lea pedals and chainset, resillion brakes etc

the serial number is either 751, 7514 or 514 it's hard to tell

It's one of 3 I've got and I'd love to have an idea of the age but if the serial number is 7514 this would date it to mid/late 50s which doesn't seem correct
any Evans experts out there ? :)

Attachments

• L1030967 copy2.jpg
    L1030967 copy2.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 507
  • L1030970copy2.jpg
    L1030970copy2.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 507
Re:

It has all the look of late 30s, but cast lugs, headclip and typical top eyes were used into late 40's, sometimes from old stock. Not specific to Evans.
The forks look post war, I am not an Evans expert.
I tried Resilion (alloy) brakes about 1949. and found numerous problems.

Keith

Re: Re:

keithglos":1dmoy6pp said:
It has all the look of late 30s, but cast lugs, headclip and typical top eyes were used into late 40's, sometimes from old stock. Not specific to Evans.
The forks look post war, I am not an Evans expert.
I tried Resilion (alloy) brakes about 1949. and found numerous problems.

Keith

The forks are not drilled so I think the resillions are my only option, my knees aren't up to fixed with no brakes :)

Re:

Hi,
I've got an Evans from 1946 and the serial number is in the early 6000's, in exactly the same spot, so at a guess 1947-48, it certainly looks about that date, most manufacturers were using pre war stocks at this time, the tanged dropout points towards the year. Terry

Re: Re:

OldTel":2mpn7xzx said:
Hi,
I've got an Evans from 1946 and the serial number is in the early 6000's, in exactly the same spot, so at a guess 1947-48, it certainly looks about that date, most manufacturers were using pre war stocks at this time, the tanged dropout points towards the year. Terry

Brilliant, thank you, I've now managed to somehow end up with 5 !!

non-fixie":3ohxmfjh said:
Nice! Looks like a useful size too.

Do we get to see the other four?
Hello nonfixie, hope you and Mrs nonfixie are both well.
can't do a pic of all 5 yet as one's still being stripped/painted (something I try to avoid normally but it was hand painted in hammerite :(
here's 2 though,

Attachments

• L1040255 copy.jpg
    L1040255 copy.jpg
    155.9 KB · Views: 297
  • L1040268 copy.jpg
    L1040268 copy.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 297
  • L1040272 copy.jpg
    L1040272 copy.jpg
    169.2 KB · Views: 297
phoog":2unx2vp9 said:
Hello nonfixie, hope you and Mrs nonfixie are both well.
can't do a pic of all 5 yet as one's still being stripped/painted (something I try to avoid normally but it was hand painted in hammerite :(
here's 2 though,

Very well, thank you! We had an nice, bicycle-eventful summer, including a visit to Eroica Britannia. It was great to see so many typically English brands and models there. Except for the ubiquitous Raleighs, not many seem to have made it across the Channel over the years.

So, thanks for posting those two pieces of eye candy. Much appreciated!

Back