Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:58 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 922 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93  Next

How did you find retrobike?
Google Search 63%  63%  [ 64 ]
Link from a friend 15%  15%  [ 15 ]
Social media (facebook, twitter, google+) 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Print media 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
Another bike site 14%  14%  [ 14 ]
Something else 8%  8%  [ 8 ]
Total votes : 102
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:52 pm 
Gold Trader / MacRetro rider

Welcome aboard one and all, jump right in, join in the banter and make yourself at home.
Post your bikes in readers rides and browse through everyone else's.

Jamie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:39 am 

Morning!

I've had a few bits of useful info from this forum in the past via googling various bike-related problems, so i thought it was only polite to at least say hello.

I taught myself to maintain and build up bikes mainly as an antidote to my job, which is almost exclusively computer based. I found myself really craving something tactile - moving things around that actually exist in the real world rather than on a screen!

While i've dabbled previously in the murky world of aluminium and carbon, the contents of my shed is currently exclusively steel-based, with no plans to change.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:52 pm 

Just restored my 1976 Dawes bike I have had since I was 15 (now 56) when the bike was about a year old, so lots of fond memories and many miles under its tyres. Surprisingly never sold or dumped, just abandoned in the garage since the mid eighties.

Tunbridge Wells based, so if you see an old geezer hurtling by on an old white bike, give me a wave!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:51 am 
Devout Dirtbag

Hello people,
Signed up a few days ago after finding a mention to it on a Facebook MTB Group.
I'm living in Hull East Yorkshire, 60 years young, just started cycling due to the glorious summer we've had.
Only have one bike which is a Specialized Hardrock Sport bought I think around 2005/6 (the one in my profile pic) if anyone can confirm it is from around that time I would appreciate it. I'm still working as a mechanical service engineer, just a couple years left before I retire hopefully.
I'm just setting up to make bike restorations my new hobby for retirement if everything goes to plan, so much knowledge & experience in this forum I'm planning on been around for a while.
Thanks for reading.

Looks like I've dropped this in the wrong section, I do apologise!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:07 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Started going down the steel road just over a yr ago ! Had and got some pretty decent steeds now! Pics will follow when allowed ! Currently riding a 1950 Claud Butler massed start and just picked up a Reg Harris bike , not a lenton although got a 46 one on the go as well!!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:22 pm 
rBoTM Winner
rBoTM Winner

Chrisfromglossop wrote:
Started going down the steel road just over a yr ago ! Had and got some pretty decent steeds now! Pics will follow when allowed ! Currently riding a 1950 Claud Butler massed start and just picked up a Reg Harris bike , not a lenton although got a 46 one on the go as well!!

You can post photos from the get go, no permission needed, you just need to reduce them in pixel size (1080 max in any orientation) or memory size (max 512kb) do this in any editor on your PC or download a free Image resizer app on your smart phone/tablet.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:07 pm 

Hi Folks,

Dave from Essex here - nice to meet you all.
I began riding steel-framed bikes back in 1975, with my first Raleigh. I've been cycling all my life and have been lucky enough to be able to build up a small collection of bikes, mostly road, along the way.

Like many I suppose, my history of frames goes from steel in my teens and twenties, through new-fangled aluminium and carbon fibre in my thirties and forties, and now back to steel as I hit 50. Not that I've got rid of all of the aluminium and carbon bikes, but if you walked into my garage with a giant electromagnet, you'd walk out with most of the bikes attached!

With Hetchins and Bates both having been based nearby, I'd always been on the lookout for their machines to add to my small collection - all of which get ridden regularly and year-round. If the garage was on fire and I could only rescue one bike though, it would be my 1951 Bianchi Folgorissima (Super Lightning) with Paris-Roubaix shifting. I restored it last summer and although it's already 27 years older than me, if properly looked after it will long outlast me, my kids and beyond! It makes me realise that I'm just its temporary custodian :)

Anyway, looking forward to playing a part in a great site and community.

Cheers!

Post subject: New
PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:49 pm 

Hello! I’m Javi, I’m living currently in Spain but was living in Cambrige for two years. When I was there I found a 60’s Rudge bike full of rust in the garden and I started to recover it. After that, i was engaged with old bikes probably for the rest of my life...
Two weeks ago I found a very old bike and I’d love to recover it, but the brand was impossible to read and i’ve Been getting crazy looking for different catalogues from 1920’s 1930’s 1940’s... but I couldn’t find the same model. This is the reason for falling here, I saw the forum and i’m sure somebody will be able to help me with this bike.
So nice to meet you all!!

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:49 pm 

Hello everybody, I am usually enjoining this forum as a guest but just decided to join to ask for more info on a frame a friend gave me... too big for me, but nevertheless a great project to complete. Will be posting later on about it.
Best, Rosso.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:43 am 

Welcome aboard Dave, Javi and Rosso.
Jump right in and don't be shy :)

Jamie

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 922 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93  Next