Identifying parts from a photo

J0ckieboy

Retro Newbie
Can anyone help me identify parts from this photo: https://www.flickr.com/photos/160906624 ... ed-public/?

Clearly it is not possible to see all the necessary details to conclusively identify all the parts, but I'm hoping that educated guesses can be made based on the other parts and the vintage those parts put the bicycle.

KNOWN
Frame: Roy Thame (c.1974).
Rear derailleur: SunTour V-Luxe, RD-130 (I have the original still).
Front derailleur: Shimano 60, EC-200 (I have the original still).
Top tube brake cable guides: Campagnolo (I have 2 of the original 3 still).

UNKNOWN
Brakes: Weinmann Type 500? (based on shape and 'unusual' left side cable clamp).
Cranks: Stronglight 93? (based on spider shape).
Pedals: Campagnolo?
Toe-clips and straps: Christophe?
Hubs: 36 hole (?) Sunshine/Sanshin either pro am or 5345. Or Campagnolo 1035, Record high flange?
Rims: ?
Tyres: ?
Gear shifter: Suntour? (based on rear derailleur).
Handle bar: ?
Stem: ?
Seatpost: ?
Saddle: Selle Italia Criterium (based on memory)?
(Shoes: DETTO?)

Re:

That is not an ideal photo angle to identify much. At that resolution, especially with the rider on the bike, I wouldn't hold out much hope of identifying the seat post or saddle.
Yes, I'd say the brake calipers are Weinmann 500. I think the brake levers, however, are Universal. http://velobase.com/ViewComponent.aspx? ... AbsPos=277

The cranks look like Stronnglight, (cannot see spider much at that angle) The hubs are probably not Campag Record- they would have a grease port clip in the centre of the barrels if they were.

The bars look pretty deep drop. I'm guessing they could be GB Ventoux

Re:

Btw- Holdsworth shop were obliged to re-badge their frames, to distinguish them clearly from Holdsworth factory frames. They were re-badged as 'Roy Thame'. Consensus of historical research suggests this did not happen until 1975. Therefore the picture might be 1975, or a bit later?

Since this is a Roy Thame (from the Holdsworth shop) there is at least a chance that all the components were from the shop too, and might be in a contemporary Holdsworthy 'Cycling Aids' book. The only one of such books scanned at the Nkilgariff site is from 1981 though, which is a bit late.

Re:

I think you are right about the brakes. A dead ringer for what's in JOckieboy's photo, except that in his photo the QR on the stirrup seems to be absent.

The hubs could easily be Shimano large flange too.

If you were building a bike like that with Japanese components in the mid '70s, you'd probably use SR (Sakae Ringyo) stuff: Bars and stem, two-bolt seat post, maybe pedals too.

Back