Wear a helmet or not?

Re:

Back in 1990 when helmets were new tech, dyed in the wool bikies needed some persuasion to adopt them. Where I was in Cornwall it was as a result of 3 incidents that they were almost universally worn. One of those incidents involved a guy who had been out all day riding on road and off. He came off his bike while he and his mates were knocking around before turning in for the night. His head hit nothing whatsoever but the stop was sudden enough to shunt his brain forward and the resultant blood clot had him in hospital for nearly a fortnight. It's doubtful whether a helmet would have lessened the trauma but nobody allowed that possibility to put them off buying one.

Re:

Just back from Oslo .This was a personal observation
I was suprised at the number of cyclists not wearing a helmet ,given the large number of tram lines and pot holes on some streets. Whilst there are lanes for cyclists and pedestrians no one seemed to take much notice of them . It seemed a free for all on the water front area . Never mind wearing one on a bike I felt I needed one as a pedestrian . I never heard anyone use a bell . I did notice however some good bike handling skills .

Re:

I wear one just to keep my hair flat! If I don't wear one my hair stands on end and it looks as though I've been sniffing glue!

Re:

After Geraint Thomas said that wearing helmets should be made compulsory I may join the French in booing him next year ! :x

Re: Re:

dorset boy":21og03id said:
After Geraint Thomas said that wearing helmets should be made compulsory I may join the French in booing him next year ! :x

Agree.
Amazing what winning a race does for you. Asked the media who he was before and wouldn't have a clue. His 5 mins of fame as come. I'm surprised any body takes any notice of that race. With it's history of drugs.

not sure i want anther man's helmet. Is this not the same as buying second hand shorts? Couldn't buy used lycra shorts either.

Re:

I have bought second hand helmets and shorts ! Think THM's might be a bit worn as it's been said he likes to polish his helmet far too much.

Like many i grew up in the 80s and cycle commuted as an early 20 something in the 90s without a helmet in sight but i wear one now when i commute because of the perceived benefits in a crash. Not just with cars though. Just two days ago i came off because a pedestrian stepped out without looking. Quite a low speed approx 10mph. Cracked my helmet across my temple area. Hate to think what would have happened if i hadn't had one on. Being clipped in to the pedals means you cant get your legs out fast enough if you go down either. Personally Im pro choice and i don't want it to be law but i choose to wear one.

Back