Indexed Shifting Help.

Markone

Retro Guru
I'm trying to get a 7 speed Shimano 300EX rear derailleur to index using Exage sport shifters.

It seems I can either get the low range of the cassette shifting smoothly or the high range,but not across the whole range.

When I adjust the tension on the cable so that the chain will climb up onto the largest cog on the cassette it will then not move back down below the 4th cog!!

The shifter cable is new and all the components,derailleur,shifter and cassette are in excellent condition.

I have no experience of doing these,by the way and may be missing a trick or two.

Any help will be most gratefully received!

Re:

Sounds like either the mech, dropout, or both are not quite straight. The mech being a lower end model, if it's already used then the pivots might have play in them too, which doesn't help either

Re: Re:

foz":39xmmaod said:
Sounds like either the mech, dropout, or both are not quite straight. The mech being a lower end model, if it's already used then the pivots might have play in them too, which doesn't help either

I just checked and everything looks perfectly straight and in line from the rear.The mech has had virtually no use and all the pivot points are snug.

It's tantalisingly close to shifting correctly through the whole cassette now as though all it needs is the right tweak!

You need to actually measure a rear mech hanger, i have a good eye and mine appeared straight. 3 degrees out.......... in two planes.

Any LBS will have the tool. Theres probably a retrobiker near you with one as well.
Or you can thread a normal rear wheel into the hanger and check that the wheels are parallel to each other in both planes.

mattr":2xcvmmeb said:
You need to actually measure a rear mech hanger, i have a good eye and mine appeared straight. 3 degrees out.......... in two planes.

Any LBS will have the tool. Theres probably a retrobiker near you with one as well.
Or you can thread a normal rear wheel into the hanger and check that the wheels are parallel to each other in both planes.

Thanks for the tip,before I take it to my LBS I'll try a rear wheel the way you describe.

I had the hanger etc checked at my LBS the guy can't figure out why the mech won't index,(it's only out by a fraction from the 4th cog up).All parts appear to be in good order,his best guess is there is some slight wear in the shifter as it doesn't appear to be pulling quite enough cable as the mech climbs the casette.

Further suggestions welcome.....

Markone":10daesdo said:
it doesn't appear to be pulling quite enough cable as the mech climbs the casette.

just checking .... they're not 8 speed levers are they, which would give the above symptom?

pigman":u8sv0cjt said:
Markone":u8sv0cjt said:
it doesn't appear to be pulling quite enough cable as the mech climbs the casette.

just checking .... they're not 8 speed levers are they, which would give the above symptom?

No,definitely 7 speed,only six clicks....

Re:

fair enough!

just another check ... is it a proper 7 speed cassette? for example on 1 bike I have, it has a 8/9/10 speed freehub. On it I have a 6 speed uniglide cassette and I have replaced the bottom screw on cog with a further 2 six-speed width cogs. So it looks like 7 speed, but has 5.5mm spacing instead of the normal 5mm spacing. It's very tolerant to not needing fine tuning with friction levers. Again, this would manifest itself in the symptom you describe.

Yes,it's a complete and proper uniglide 12-21 7 speed cassette!It's all a bit baffling really,unfortunately I don't have another 7 speed shifter to try.........yet!lol

Of,course using the shifter in friction mode it shifts great!

Back