Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:21 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post subject: Indexed Shifting Help.
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:21 am 
Devout Dirtbag

I'm trying to get a 7 speed Shimano 300EX rear derailleur to index using Exage sport shifters.

It seems I can either get the low range of the cassette shifting smoothly or the high range,but not across the whole range.

When I adjust the tension on the cable so that the chain will climb up onto the largest cog on the cassette it will then not move back down below the 4th cog!!

The shifter cable is new and all the components,derailleur,shifter and cassette are in excellent condition.

I have no experience of doing these,by the way and may be missing a trick or two.

Any help will be most gratefully received!

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:40 am 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader

Sounds like either the mech, dropout, or both are not quite straight. The mech being a lower end model, if it's already used then the pivots might have play in them too, which doesn't help either

Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:28 pm 
Devout Dirtbag

foz wrote:
Sounds like either the mech, dropout, or both are not quite straight. The mech being a lower end model, if it's already used then the pivots might have play in them too, which doesn't help either

I just checked and everything looks perfectly straight and in line from the rear.The mech has had virtually no use and all the pivot points are snug.

It's tantalisingly close to shifting correctly through the whole cassette now as though all it needs is the right tweak!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:19 pm 
Old School Grand Master

You need to actually measure a rear mech hanger, i have a good eye and mine appeared straight. 3 degrees out.......... in two planes.

Any LBS will have the tool. Theres probably a retrobiker near you with one as well.
Or you can thread a normal rear wheel into the hanger and check that the wheels are parallel to each other in both planes.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 4:25 pm 
Devout Dirtbag

mattr wrote:
You need to actually measure a rear mech hanger, i have a good eye and mine appeared straight. 3 degrees out.......... in two planes.

Any LBS will have the tool. Theres probably a retrobiker near you with one as well.
Or you can thread a normal rear wheel into the hanger and check that the wheels are parallel to each other in both planes.

Thanks for the tip,before I take it to my LBS I'll try a rear wheel the way you describe.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:53 am 
Devout Dirtbag

I had the hanger etc checked at my LBS the guy can't figure out why the mech won't index,(it's only out by a fraction from the 4th cog up).All parts appear to be in good order,his best guess is there is some slight wear in the shifter as it doesn't appear to be pulling quite enough cable as the mech climbs the casette.

Further suggestions welcome.....

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:44 am 
Retro Guru

Markone wrote:
it doesn't appear to be pulling quite enough cable as the mech climbs the casette.

just checking .... they're not 8 speed levers are they, which would give the above symptom?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:05 pm 
Devout Dirtbag

pigman wrote:
Markone wrote:
it doesn't appear to be pulling quite enough cable as the mech climbs the casette.

just checking .... they're not 8 speed levers are they, which would give the above symptom?

No,definitely 7 speed,only six clicks....

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:13 pm 
Retro Guru

fair enough!

just another check ... is it a proper 7 speed cassette? for example on 1 bike I have, it has a 8/9/10 speed freehub. On it I have a 6 speed uniglide cassette and I have replaced the bottom screw on cog with a further 2 six-speed width cogs. So it looks like 7 speed, but has 5.5mm spacing instead of the normal 5mm spacing. It's very tolerant to not needing fine tuning with friction levers. Again, this would manifest itself in the symptom you describe.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:30 pm 
Devout Dirtbag

Yes,it's a complete and proper uniglide 12-21 7 speed cassette!It's all a bit baffling really,unfortunately I don't have another 7 speed shifter to try.........yet!lol

Of,course using the shifter in friction mode it shifts great!